Metal Crochet Hooks are a popular choice for crocheting many projects. Great for beginners and advanced crocheters alike, they’ve versatile and affordable.
Here’s my guide that covers the best metal crochet hooks.
Table Of Contents
- Metal Crochet Hooks Set
- Metal Crochet Hooks Interchangeable Set
- Metal Tunisian Crochet Hooks
- Large Metal Crochet Hooks
- Hiya Hiya Metal Crochet Hooks Set
- Yarn Mania Metal Crochet Hooks
- Metal Jumbo Crochet Hooks
- Engraved Metal Crochet Hooks
- Polymer Clay And Metal Crochet Hooks
- Metal Crochet Hooks Michaels
- Metal Crochet Hooks Joanns
- Your Questions Answered
Metal Crochet Hooks Set
A set of colorful Aluminum crochet hooks in 12 different sizes.
- Sizes Included – 2.0 mm, 2.5mm, 3.0mm, 3.5mm, 4.0mm, 4.5mm, 5.0mm, 5.5mm, 6.0mm, 6.5mm, 7.0mm and 8.0mm
- Length – 150mm
- Sizes are etched on the hook
- Standard handle so not as comfortable
Metal Crochet Hooks Interchangeable Set
This beautiful, interchangeable crochet hook set includes six aluminum hooks that are interchangeable, an acrylic handle, and a travel case to keep the set together.
The acrylic handle is dark purple with thin white lines swirled throughout and is contoured for a comfortable fit in your hand.
The hooks have a brushed satin finish. They can be turned around and stored inside the handle for safekeeping when not in use.
The set includes six hooks; sizes C/2, D/3, E/4, F/5, G/6, H/8, the handle, and a travel/storage case.
The overall length with the hook extended is 6 inches, and with the hook stored is 4 1/2 inches. The handle diameter is 11/16″ at the largest point.
Travel box is 7-1/2 x 5 x 1-1/4 inches.
- Size is etched on each hook
- Smaller sizes not included
Metal Tunisian Crochet Hooks
Metal hook for Tunisian / Afghan crochet. These Prym/Inox hooks are available in sizes 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, or 3.5 mm.
- Sizing is on the stopper
- Only metric sizing
Metal Tunisian Crochet Hooks With Cables
The package includes 11 assorted color Tunisian afghan aluminum crochet hooks, in different sizes, and 12 pieces of plastic Tunisian afghan crochet hooks with cables.
The metric sizes of the Aluminum Tunisian hooks are:
- Bright colors
- Each size is marked on the stopper
- The plastic hooks in this set are not the best quality
Large Metal Crochet Hooks
This listing is for one Silverlume Susan Bates aluminum crochet hook, US size N 15 (10mm), new in package.
- Great for bulky yarns
- Only one size available
Hiya Hiya Metal Crochet Hooks Set
The HiyaHiya Crochet Hook Set includes 15 Aluminum Crochet Hooks and 2 Acrylic Crochet Hooks in a practical, portable, brocade and cotton case.
Hook Sizes range from 2.0 mm/AB through 15 mm/PQ.
- Quality product
- Variety of sizes and the colors make them easy to tell apart
- You cannot choose the color of the fabric case
Yarn Mania Metal Light Up Crochet Hooks
A set of light up Aluminum tapered crochet hooks.
Rechargeable LED Light: Third generation two brightness settings lighted crochet hooks with improved LED light technology. It takes 30 minutes to charge and lasts for 6-12 hours.
Notions Included – 1x Scissors, 9x Knitting Needles, 9x Crochet Markers, 1x Measuring Tape, 1x Organizing Pouch, 1x Leather Case
- Ergonomic Curve Shape Handle made of silicone
- They light up, which helps when using dark yarns
- Some users found the handle cracked
- If you are a knife holder crocheter using this may take getting used to
Metal Jumbo Crochet Hooks
The polished Aluminum hook is color-coded, so you can find the size you need at a glance. Each gift set contains five large crochet hook Size K/6.5mm, Size 7mm, Size L/8mm, Size M/N/9mm, Size N/P/10mm
- Comfortable to hold
- Great for bulky yarns
- Bright colors
- The hook goes all the way to the bottom of the handle
Engraved Metal Crochet Hooks
Large aluminum crochet hook set 6.5m(K), 8mm(L), 9mm, (M), 10mm(N).
- The yarn slips easily over the surface
- Each size is printed on the thumb rest
- Inline hook
- Doesn’t have the letter size
Glow in the Dark Crochet aluminum hook with bespoke handmade polymer clay handle — the stars in the handle design glow.
Available in sizes 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 3.5mm, 4mm, 4.5mm, 5mm, 5.5mm, 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 8mm, 9mm and 10mm.
- Comfortable handle
- Wide range of sizes
- Has a thumb rest
- The size stamp is difficult to read
Metal Crochet Hooks Michaels
Michaels offers Susan Bates Crochet hooks in a range of sizes. Crocheters who love inline hooks recommend this brand.
Available in 12 sizes C (2.75mm) to N (10mm)
For more information on Susan Bates hooks, please read my full review here.
- Inline style hook
- Smooth surface
- Lightweight Aluminum
- Comes with a sticker tag, which some customers found challenging to get off
Metal Crochet Hooks Joanns
Joann has a set of 8 aluminum boye style hooks in sizes D-K.
- Some colors double up, so they are not as easy to identify the different sizes
Your Questions Answered
Metal Crochet Hooks Vs. Wooden
- Are widely available and affordable
- They usually have the hook size stamped into the shaft part of the hook
- They are durable
- Cool to the touch and lightweight
- They are rigid
- Not ergonomic
- Often unique in design
- Lovely to look at
- Warm to the touch
- More expensive
Metal Vs. Plastic Crochet Hooks
- The yarn glides smoothly over the surface
- Not ergonomic
- Smooth surface
- Relatively inexpensive
- Great for beginners as they are affordable
- Can often squeak
- Your hands may sweat
Is There A Big Difference Between Plastic Crochet Hooks And Metal?
Yes, there is a big difference between plastic crochet hooks and metal. They have a very different feel and performance when crocheting.
You would need to check with the airline you are traveling with, but metal crochet hooks are not permitted on a plane in most cases.
How To Make Metal Crochet Hooks More Slippery
In the instance you need a metal crochet hook to be more slippery, try washing it in hot soapy water. Sometimes yarns cause more friction.
When Were Metal Crochet Hooks First Made?
Crochet was a popular textile art in the early 19th century. Different materials were used to create hooks, and metal was one of the most popular.
How Can I Make My Metal Crochet Hooks More Comfortable?
People have tried ergonomic crochet handles, where you put your metal hook into a removable handle. Others have used polymer clay to mold a wider grip for comfort.
How To Fix Metal Crochet Hooks To Reduce Pain
To fix metal crochet hooks to reduce pain, try a removable ergonomic handle or invest in a metal hook with a permanent comfort grip handle.
How Are Metal Crochet Hooks Made?
This is a fascinating video about making a forged metal crochet hook. Machines do the large scale manufacturing process of metal hooks.
What Are Metal Crochet Hooks Made From?
Metal Crochet hooks are made from Aluminum.
Difference Between Metal Number Crochet Hooks And Letter Crochet Hooks
Metal Number Crochet hooks refer to the millimeter sizing, and the letter crochet hooks have the US letter sizing.
For example, a C crochet hook in metric sizing is 2.75mm.
Can Constant Use Of Metal Crochet Hooks Cause A Toxin Problem?
Some people have sensitivities to some metals, and this often results in a skin reaction. Aluminum is the primary metal used in metal hooks’ production, but this is less likely to cause a toxin problem than nickel.
Did They Use Metal Crochet Hooks In 1860?
Yes, steel was used in producing metal crochet hooks in 1860.
Hopefully you found this helpful. Metal crochet hooks are smooth and slippery, and are good for a variety of crochet projects.
READ NEXT – Want more info on hooks and their types? See here.