I researched crochet statistics, and found stats on the health benefits of crochet, interest over time, and more.
I reviewed and updated this post on August 5, 2022.
Table Of Contents
- Crochet Stats 2020–2022
- Interest In Crochet Over The Years
- Studies On Crochet
- Crochet Trends
- The Health Benefits of Knitting And Crochet Statistics
Crochet Stats In 2020 – 2022
The coronavirus fuels knitting’s popularity according to Forbes online article of March 27, 2021.
They interviewed the “We Are Knitters” founders, Pepita Marín and Alberto Bravo. Originally from Spain, they began their side hustle in 2011.
They now run it full-time.
- Their sales increased 75%, they said
- The number of followers on social media and YouTube increased by 50%
There was more time for hobbies and handicrafts. Many made charity knits.
The internet allows knitters to interact and socialize despite disruptions in social life.
Online knitting communities have boomed as a break from work.
You’ll also meet hundreds of like-minded people.
Survey Results From We Are Knitters
- More than 45 million Americans knit or crochet
- 33% (one third) buy knitting supplies every month
- Buyers were mostly women in the 25-40 age groups
- Knitting kits are popular with customers aged 25-40
- Older customers buy individual supplies
(For a visual representation of the data, they have an excellent infographic.)
Crochet Statistics During The COVID-19 Pandemic
- Non-medical masks were needed, so designers and manufacturers produced knitted masks
- The pandemic has led to 1 million more knitting in the UK
- Sales have increased by 80% since lockdowns began, says Lion Brand ambassador Shira Blumenthal
- Michelle Obama and Sarah Jessica Parker knitted during the pandemic
- Between April 2020 and March 2021, sales of knitting needles and wool grew 646% at Galaxus
- Yarns with space dyes
- Comfortable fibers
- Using beads in creations
- Clothes like skirts, hoods, dresses and balaclavas
- Crocheted items in the metaverse
- Temperature blankets
- Popular colors are bright pink and lavender
- Personalized items
- Floral themes
- Bucket hats
- Mixing yarns and textures
Other Crochet Stats
- Julia Roberts, Julianna Margulies, Vanna White, and Cameron Diaz enjoy knitting and crocheting
Interest In Crochet Over The Years
The interest in crochet is greater than knitting.
Crochet peaks and troughs, as it’s seasonal.
5 Most Popular Search Terms For Crochet
The most popular search terms for crochet in the last 10 years
- Crochet Pinterest
- Crochet Faux locs
- Faux locs
- Crochet box braids
- Crochet crowd
Pinterest is great inspiration for crocheters.
The next 3 searches relate to hair styles. Faux locs are synthetic lengths of hair. They’re attached to people’s braids with a crochet hook latch tool.
Crochet Crowd is a popular crochet site and YouTube channel.
Studies On Crochet
The Association For Creative Industries (AFCI) conducted a study in 2016 of the US Craft Market. 
This study gives insight into the consumer behaviors and demographics. One category of crafters were knitters and crocheters.
- 28.8 million Americans participated in knitting/crochet in 2016.
- The crafts represented a market of $2.79 billion
- With an average monthly spend per household of $20.57.
- Knitters and crocheters are likely to participate in other needle arts
- 77% buy their supplies in a physical store
- 4% buy outside physical stores
- 19% buy from both
- 62% give the items they craft as gifts
- Knit and crochet items are the most donated crafts at 18%
- 58% also keep their items
- While 18% consider themselves experts (one of the highest percentages of any craft)
- The other 82% rate their experience levels as beginner or intermediate
- 71% of knitters and crocheters are female
- 29% are male
- 37% are employed full time
- 34% are 18-34
- 36% are in the 35-54 age group
- 30% are 55+
Knitting Pattern Trends over the last 10 years includes brioche knitting, knitting with two yarns held together, and colorwork yokes.
Brioche knitting uses a special set of stitches to create a lofty and thicker fabric like a ribbed pattern.
Double-stranded knitting is nothing new, but what’s popular is combining a fluffy yarn with another type.
(Often used in baby blankets.)
Patterns featuring Colorwork yokes increased. Sweaters were popular.
Trends For Crochet
Trends for crochet include Headbands, Skinny Scarves, Top Down Tunics and Farmhouse Decor.
The twist headband is a cold weather favorite, as is the skinny scarf.
Top-down tunics are popular as they’re available in many sizes, plus they’re great with leggings or jeans.
Farmhouse Décor includes blankets, pillows, throws and baskets.
Crochet And Knitting Patterns Published On Ravelry 2010-2019
An increase over 2010-2013, and more steady from 2014 onwards.
Crochet Patterns Published On Ravelry 2010-2019
Though there were fewer patterns published by year, it’s still significant.
There was a large growth in 2010-2014, and a drop before increasing.
Health Benefits of Crochet Statistics
Many studies show the health benefits of knitting and crochet.
Crochet Relieves Depression
In a study of 3,500 knitters, in The British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 81% of respondents with depression reported feeling happy after knitting.
More than half reported feeling “very happy.” 
Crafting May Reduce Dementia
Yonas Geda, associate professor of Neurology and Psychiatry at the Mayo Clinic in Arizona, published a study.
In the Spring 2011 edition of The Journal of Neuropsychiatry & Clinical Neurosciences .
His research showed people who engaged their minds by reading books, playing games or crafting had a decreased risk of mild cognitive impairment.
A precursor to Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia.
Their study looked at 1,321 adults, ages 70 to 89.
197 had been identified as already having mild cognitive impairment.
The normal and cognitively impaired groups were surveyed about their activities within the last year.
The data showed playing games, crafting, reading books and watching less TV resulted in a striking 30-50% decrease in the odds of having mild cognitive impairment.
Crochet Relieves Stress
An online survey conducted by the Craft Yarn Council  for their initiative, Stitch Away Stress returned this.
- 76% of Knitters and Crocheters like to knit/crochet with others
- 49% of knitters say their favorite person to stitch with is their friend
- 61% knit or crochet 1-12 hrs a week
- 39% knit or crochet 13-25 hrs a week
- 80% of knitters and crocheters say the skill reduces stress
- 94% of knitters and crocheters say the skill relaxes them
- 83% of knitters knit watching TV
A Survey By Wool And The Gang
Knitting has made a comeback!
According to a survey of 4,000 knitters
- 90% of US knitters and 86% of UK/European knitters knit to relax
- Knitting reduces anxiety for 90% of knitters
- UK knitters: 7.3 million
- US knitters: 53 million
- 40% of knitters cope with depression with knitting
- Knitting helped 20% of full recoveries
- After knitting a project, 70% feel happy
Did you learn something from this post? Let me know!
Looking for a breakdown of crochet vs knit? See here.
Here is the information’s source.
- ‘2016 Creative Products Size of the Industry Study’ Association For Creative Industries, <https://www.craftandhobby.org/eWeb/pdfs/AFCI%20MASTER%20Report_020117.pdf>, Accessed 4 May 2020.
- ‘Spotting a Trend: Knitting Patterns Released in 2010–2019’, Susanna Winter, January 24, 2020, <https://www.susannawinter.net/single-post/2020/01/24/Spotting-a-Trend-Knitting-Patterns-Released-in-2010E280932019>, Accessed 5 May 2020.
- ‘Knit and Crochet Trend Predictions for 2020’, Tamara Kelly for Yarnspirations, <https://www.yarnspirations.com/row-en/blog-010620-knit-crochet-predictions.html>, Accessed 6 May 2020.
- ‘The Benefits of Knitting for Personal and Social Wellbeing in Adulthood: Findings from an International Survey’, Jill Riley, Betsan Corkhill, Clare Morris, 15 February 2013, <https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.4276/030802213X13603244419077> Accessed 5 May 2020
- ‘Engaging in Cognitive Activities, Aging and Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Population-Based Study’, Yonas E. Geda et al., April 2011, <https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3204924/>, Accessed 5 May 2020
- Craft Yarn Council <https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/health> Accessed 6 May 2020.
- Mark, Lois Alter. “Knitting Has Become the Cool Activity during the Coronavirus Crisis.” Forbes. Forbes Magazine, March 27, 2020. https://www.forbes.com/sites/loisaltermark/2020/03/27/knitting-has-become-the-cool-activity-during-the-coronavirus-crisis/#64f55099921c.
- “Marketresearch.com.” Market Research. Kentley Insights, January 1, 2020. https://www.marketresearch.com/Kentley-Insights-v4035/Apparel-Knitting-Mills-Research-12848197/.
- Watg. “Our Survey Results Are in!” Wool and the Gang Blog Free Knitting Kit Patterns Downloads, October 17, 2018. https://www.woolandthegang.com/blog/2015/02/our-survey-results-are-in.https://apparelresources.com/
- Anjori Grover Vasesi, “Apparel News, Textile News, Fashion News & Trends,” Apparel Resources, August 2, 2022, https://apparelresources.com/.
- Palmer, Melina. “143-Year-Old Company’s Online Sales up 80 Percent during Covid.” Inc.com. Inc., June 13, 2020. https://www.inc.com/melina-palmer/143-year-old-companys-online-sales-up-80-percent-during-covid.html.
- Makoni, Abbianca. “Michelle Obama Hooked on Knitting to Pass Time during Covid Pandemic.” Evening Standard. Evening Standard, March 11, 2021. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/michelle-obama-knitting-pass-time-covid-pandemic-b923567.html.
- “’Tom Daley Effect’ Spurs Men to Take up Knitting amid Home Crafting Boom.” The Guardian. Guardian News and Media, January 9, 2022. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jan/09/tom-daley-effect-spurs-men-to-take-up-knitting-amid-home-crafting-boom.
- “7 Hot Knitting Trends to Pick up in 2022.” n.d. Better Homes & Gardens. Accessed August 5, 2022. https://www.bhg.com/decorating/do-it-yourself/accents/knitting-trends/.
- Robinson, Julie. 2022. “Yarn and Knitting Trend Report 2022.” Craft Industry Alliance. March 29, 2022. https://craftindustryalliance.org/yarn-and-knitting-trend-report-2022/.