A crochet starter kit, an easy way to crochet. They have everything you need to kickstart learning crochet.
Here are the crochet kits for beginners, perfect for learning to make the creation of your dreams.
My Quick Recommendations
- My Top Pick – Red Velvet Cowl
- Best Luxury Option – Learn to C2C Crochet Afghan
- Best Budget Pick – Penguin Kit By The Woobles
Table Of Contents
- What Is A Crochet Kit?
- Why Should You Get A Crocheting Kit For Beginners?
- What Is Needed For Crochet?
- What Makes The Best Crochet Starter Kit
- The Best Crochet Starter Kit Guide
- Learn to Crochet: Red Velvet Cowl
- Beginner Crochet Kit Washcloth
- Learn To Crochet Kit For Kids and Adults
- Get Hooked Learn To Crochet Kit
- Penguin Crochet Kit By The Woobles
- Statement Scarf Kit
- Susan Bates Learn Crochet Kit
- Crochet Baskets Kit
- 4M Easy-To-Do Crochet Kit
- Learn to C2C Crochet Afghan
- Mira Handcrafts Crochet Starter Kit
- Boye Taught Myself Crochet
- Crochet Beginners Kits
- DIY Beginner Crochet Kit
- Star Wars Crochet Kit
- Harry Potter Crochet Kit
- Learn to Crochet Kit by Loops & Threads
What Is A Crochet Kit?
A crochet kit has all the equipment for a crochet project.
There are a few types of crochet kits.
- Some are single project kits, as in they have all items included for one crochet item and nothing else. Some of this type include yarn, and others don’t.
- Some are beginner crochet kits. They have everything you need to start crocheting. They may or may not include yarn. Most have an instruction booklet with several dprojects fto try.
- An amigurumi kit includes everything to make one or many amigurumi creations. They almost always have yarn. These aren’t the best choice for beginners, though, as they’re complicated.
Why Should You Get Crochet Kits For Beginners?
Crochet starter kits are perfect for beginners because
- Convenience – Everything you need comes in a package, ready to go.
- Time-saving – No need to spend hours searching online for each product.
- Value – Bang for your buck. Sometimes you won’t find things in the kits anywhere else.
- Affordability – You save money by buying a bundle than everything separately. Plus, shipping is cheaper.
- Educational – Gain confidence in your crocheting skills and crochet stitches repertoire.
- Easy – Not too hard, but familiar, enjoyable, and a bit challenging.
- Helpful – Detailed and easy to follow instructions are included to guide you from your first stitch right to cast off.
You have to start somewhere, and this is an excellent way to do it. When you’ve built up confidence, choose the best crochet hook to suit.
Regardless of skill level, a beginner kit is useful for advanced crocheters if you want to relax. Without having to worry about what you purchase beforehand!
What Is Needed To Start Crocheting?
Here’s a checklist of crochet tools you need to get.
- A crochet hook or more than one – (if the pattern requires different hook sizes)
- Tapestry Needle – (to weave in the ends)
- Scissors – (to cut the yarn if necessary)
- A pattern or project idea
- Pen and paper to keep track of your pattern progress
What Makes The Best Crochet Starter Kit
Here are key-decision making factors to consider in the best crochet kits.
Does It Include One Or More Crochet Hooks?
These, along with yarn, are the most necessary materials for doing crochet! So ensure they’re included. Sometimes, another size is needed, so check they’re in the kit.
Does It Have Yarn?
Not all crochet kits have balls of yarn. Often you’ll have to buy it separately. This is good if you want to choose, but not convenient.
If it does, usually it’s more expensive. Decide what suits you.
What About A Tapestry Needle?
A tapestry needle is a small needle with a large eye (the hole you put the thread). It’s for sewing crochet pieces together and weaving the ends in. (It’s also called a yarn needle or a darning needle.)
The best crochet for beginners kit has one! (Check the yarn fits in the needle.)
Don’t Forget Stitch Markers!
Nifty tools to track pattern and stitch changes. Usually looks like safety pins.
Use a piece of scrap yarn if they are none. But it’s nice to have a set of stitch markers standing out against wool.
Is A Measuring Tape In the Contents?
This is important! Before beginning any project, you need to start with the basics. Make a swatch to test your gauge and see if it’s right according to the instructions. A measuring tape ensures it’s the right size.
What Kind Of Accessories Are Included?
Pay close attention to the list of contents so you get a sense of what’s in the kit. Essentials like crochet books (the instruction booklet with beginner projects and patterns.) Others aren’t essential but good to have.
Are The Instructions Included, & Clear To Understand?
An instruction manual or instruction book, if there are multiple projects, is essential. Read customer reviews to see if the instructions are clear.
Sometimes, they include bonus projects.
Is There An Individual Guarantee On Each Of The Items?
Sometimes one item doesn’t work. Read the guarantee policy to see if you can replace one item or they have to replace the entire thing.
What About The Return Policy?
In the unlikely event of a mishap, you don’t want a complicated and unfair policy holding you back from enjoying the crochet kit!
Assess all products in a kit, and add up the price of them separately, and compare. Don’t blow your budget on your quest to learn how to crochet!
The Best Crochet Starter Kit
Learn to Crochet: Red Velvet Cowl
A crochet cowl is a lovely, functional project to learn how to crochet.
- Mini Hook Book: Learn to Crochet (printed version)
- 2 balls of Chroma Worsted (1 Black & Red Velvet)
- Caspian Regular Crochet Hook Size G-6 (4.0mm)
- Retractable Tape Measure
- Bent Tip Tapestry Needle 58mm
- Locking Stitch Markers
- Feelin’ Superfine Project Bag
- Comes with everything you need to make the project
- Great for the beginner skill level
- Only comes in the colors listed
Penguin Crochet Kit By The Woobles
Isn’t this little penguin adorable? This kit is suitable for absolute beginners. So start your crochet journey with this super cute crochet beginner kit!
It includes Quickstart instructions teaching you everything you need to know, from holding yarn to crocheting your first few stitches. The instructions have many pictures. Have crochet classes at home!
This makes learning crochet fun!
This Kit Includes:
- Video tutorial for your first few stitches
- Pattern as a PDF download
- Blue, white, and yellow yarn
- Pre-started crochet piece, so you can practice the main crochet stitch
- Plastic safety eyes
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch marker
- Crochet hook size 4mm (for an additional charge)
They have more adorable crochet designs in their shop. Take a look and see what sort suits your preferences!
Beginner Crochet Kit – Washcloth
Dishcloths make great presents. Once you get started and learn the basics, try all sorts of different crochet patterns.
This starter kit includes step-by-step instructions and the pattern digitally, the hook and cotton yarn, and the videos you’ll need to watch and learn.
(All videos and patterns are sent in an email after purchase.) The hook and yarn are sent in the mail.
- Simple stitch to learn and master
- Limited choice of yarn color
Learn To Crochet Kit For Kids and Adults
A lovely gift to yourself for beginning your crocheting journey or someone else who’d love to try crochet.
Created by the fiber artist Judy from TheAutumnAcorn.
- Included in the kit – approx. 1 mini-skein (20 grams/80 yards) or 2 mini-skeins (10 grams/40 yards each)
- One wooden crochet hook
- One wooden acorn
- One fun progress keeper
- One yarn needle
- How-to directions
- Easy-to-carry cotton material drawstring storage bag!
- Great for kids or adults
- Shipped in a box with protective packaging
- You don’t choose your colors, but you choose girl, boy, child or adult versions
Get Hooked Learn To Crochet Kit
Nomad Yarn’s instructions take you from the beginning chain of crochet through more intricate stitches.
Create an attractive sampler to show off your new skills.
The kit includes –
- 1 280yd skein of Twisted Branch – 100% Superwash Merino Wool, hand-dyed in Nomad Yarn’s studio in Plainfield, IN (pre-wound).
- 1 Bamboo Crochet hook
- 1 Set Yarn Snips
- 1 Nomad Yarns Tape Measure
- 1 Tapestry Needle
- 12 page pattern / tutorial
- Digital download of the booklet and 12 videos on YouTube
- Lovely colors available
- Yarn hand-dyed
- Great for new and experienced crochet lovers!
- Detailed instructions and videos
- More suitable for adults
Make A Statement Scarf
A beautiful cross between a crochet wrap and an oversized scarf.
The kit includes:
- Digital pattern emailed to you
- 6 balls of Hue + Me Yarn
- Optional – Crochet Hook and Lion Brand® Large-Eye Blunt Needles
- Funky and modern design
- Soft and squishy yarn
- Choose your colors
- Takes time to create
Susan Bates Learn Crochet Kit
The book contains more than thirty projects and left-hand instructions.
This kit includes
- Five Susan Bates Silvalume crochet hooks (US sizes G, H, I, J & K)
- One afghan hook
- Two yarn needles
- A knit gauge
- Easy to understand instructions
- A great first crochet kit
- The hooks are larger, perfect for beginners
- Doesn’t include yarn
Crochet Basket Kit
A lovely set of little baskets from sustainably sourced yarn. Plants would look so cute in this around the home! There are several colors to choose from.
This bag kit includes:
- 1 Bamboo Crochet Hook
- 2 Balls of Bobbiny 100% Recycled Cotton Cord
- 1 Crochet Pattern
- 1 How to crochet guide
- 1 Stitch Marker
- Sustainably sourced
- Beginner friendly
- Great for experienced crocheters wanting to try a simple crochet project
- Easy to use thick yarn
- Everything you need is included
- The instructions for the stitches aren’t super clear
- You need a bit of practice with the stitch first
4M Easy-To-Do Crochet Kit
The crafts included in the booklet are a handbag, a coaster, a placemat, or a belt. This kit is great for kids aged eight and up who want to learn crochet and have something to wear at the end of their efforts.
It includes two hooks, a plastic needle for sewing in ends, and seven colors of yarn.
- Interesting designs
- There’ll be parts kids need help with
Learn to C2C Crochet Afghan
A classic quilt inspired afghan using the C2C crochet technique. In this blanket kit, you work a square from one corner across to the next on the diagonal.
This starter kit for crochet blankets is suitable for advanced beginners.
- 12 Brava Bulky Acrylic Yarn (7 of Tranquil and 5 of Cream)
- Printed booklet of how to do the C2C technique
- Majestic Hook K-10.5 (6.5mm)
- 3 large yarn bobbins
- Excellent value
- Clear instructions
- Lovely colors
- If you have difficulty following charts this kit is not for you
Mira Handcrafts Crochet Starter Kit
Plenty of colorful yarn to do many crochet projects, like a crochet garment
The kit contains
- 2 Crochet Hooks (size H and J)
- 2 Weaving Needles
- A link to download 7 Ebooks (Beginner to advanced projects)
- Lots of basic crochet items to make
- Some reported the yarn splits
Boye Taught Myself Crochet
This kit includes
- 1 crochet pattern instruction book
- 5 crochet hooks (G, H, I, K, & L)
- 2 tapestry yarn needles
- 1 tape measure
- 1 knit tally
- 20 split-ring stitch markers.
The booklet comprises 15 project ideas.
- Good starter kit for a collection of hooks for future crochet projects
- Yarn isn’t included
Crochet Beginners Kits
The package includes
- Instruction book
- Five crochet hooks
- One afghan hook
- Tapestry yarn needles
- Split-ring stitch markers
- 1″ cabone rings.
The instruction book contains 16 projects to practice and hone your skills. Try scarves, koozies, shawls, and more.
- Fun ideas for wearable crochet items
- Yarn not included
DIY Beginner Crochet Kit
A fun project for an introduction to crochet and amigurumi.
The kits have everything you need
- Crochet hook
- Toy stuffing
- Stitch marker
- Embroidery floss
- Additional accessories.
- Fun for kids and adults
- The yarn is not high quality
Star Wars Crochet Kit
If you love Star Wars characters, this kit is for you! The instructions step you through twelve different characters.
- Enough yarn to make Yoda and a Stormtrooper
- Yarn colors (white, black, pale green, beige, and brown)
- Tapestry needle
- Inexpensive crochet hook – 3.50 (US E/4)
- Four plastic safety eyes
You need additional materials for other characters. Learning amigurumi takes practice when you’re a beginner.Check Price On Amazon
Harry Potter Crochet Kit
Crochet Harry Potter and Dobby the House Elf.
The kit includes
- Sewing needle and thread
- Safety eye beads
- Magic wand crochet hook
A 76-page book gives step-by-step directions with lots of pictures.
You can make other characters but need more materials.Check Price On Amazon
Learn to Crochet Kit by Loops & Threads
This kit includes a crochet hook and instruction booklet for learning the basics of crochet. Use medium-weight yarn with the included hook.
- Suitable for right and left-handed users
- Not for younger children
- Not good quality materials
- No yarn
Looking for more options?
- Lion Brand Yarn One & Done Kits (Great kit for beginners)
Best of luck making your first handmade crochet creation! If you use one of the kits I’ve reviewed, I’d love to hear about your process.
Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any kits to make crochet hand mitts. Know a good one? Tell me in the comments or on social media.
Read my crochet kit article for reviews of top trending collections suited to intermediate or advanced crocheters.