Browsing beautiful yarns is such a fun thing to do. It’s convenient and simple. Buy yarn online and treat yourself! It’s exciting to get a package delivered right to you for your next project.
I’ve included the best yarn companies, how to buy yarn online, and tips. Here’s a list of the best places to buy yarn online.
My Quick Recommendations
- WeCrochet – The Best Place To Buy Yarn Online
- Love Crafts – Best Luxury Yarns
- Lion Brand Yarn – Best Budget Yarns
I reviewed, fact checked and updated this post on April 12, 2023
Table Of Contents
- Places To Buy Yarn Online
- Love Crafts
- Lion Brand Yarn
- Jimmy Beans Wool
- Amazon – Buy Yarn In Bulk Online
- Fabulous Yarn
- Purl Soho
- Advantages Of Shopping Online
- Things To Remember When Buying Yarn Online
- Which Is The Best Yarn To Buy?
Best Places To Buy Yarn Online
You want to be confident that when you can’t touch or see first hand, the yarns for your projects, the supplies will be what the descriptions for the yarn lives up to the reality. If you are fortunate enough to have a brick and mortar shop you can visit, then this is not an issue.
When I’ve bought yarns online, like the merino sock from Hedgehog fibers, I was extremely pleased I received what I’d seen on the online shop listing. I highly recommend the sites listed below to other crocheters,
Finally! An online yarn store option dedicated to crochet! (1) Formally known as We Crochet. They have many ranges of crochet yarn, of all specifications, like yarn weight. They have superfine weight yarn to jumbo yarn.
(Their knitting sister site is called KnitPicks.)
For an idea of how well they treat your customers, if you get stuck in the buying process, use your email address to message their customer service. Here are some benefits.
- Decent shipping rates for their collection
- Affordable prices and discount varieties
- Fast shipping
- Vibrant community
- Their social platform shares great pics of the crochet life
- Large yarn selection including organic cotton.
- They sometimes offer coupons, and always have sales events during the holidays
- Many books of patterns on the topic
- Only ship to the United States, Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom
This website seems like a place to find inspiration, patterns, books, and tricks. But does this knitting warehouse sell yarn? Yes! Exclusive brands like Malabrigo and familiar favorites like Debbie Bliss at this yarn shop. They sell quality yarns perfect for making a blanket.
(Note: This was formerly Love Knitting.)
- Complete your chosen yarn with crochet patterns and inspiration
- Easy to use search filter for yarn shopping (choose by fiber, color, weight)
- Affordable with a great price range
- Good returns policy
- Easy to make orders
- Some specialty yarns, like cashmere
- International shipping
- Friendly and vibrant community of crafters
- Email list full of discounts and offers
- Costly shipping
The online grandparent of yarn companies! A fascinating fact – this was founded in 1878. Founded by a family and run by the fifth generation. They opened their online store in 1998. They sell many other goods, like patterns, kits, and crochet notions.
- Many free patterns are available. (Note: You need an account to download them) Try the ones for the self-striping Mandala yarn
- Excellent variety of color selection at this craft store
- Engaging social media
- International shipping
- Transparent return policy
- Clearance sales regularly
- The only yarn available is from their lines, no others
- Not a large selection of luxury yarns, as they focus on low prices
Founded in 2002 by crafter Laura Zander and her husband, it’s grown into a massive company. Jimmy is Laura’s nickname. The ‘beans’ is inspired by one of their previous ventures, a coffee shop. They expand their range by acquiring new brands and designing products.
Plenty of selection, from cheaper acrylic to luxury ones.
- Wonderful community
- Beautiful merchandise, like knitting needles, hooks, crochet bags, and many more
- Loved by crocheters, knitters, & makers globally
- Excellent, exclusive yarns
- Cheap flat rate shipping of $5 for orders within the US.
- Free shipping in the US with orders over $75
- Excellent return policy
- Regular sales with promo codes
- Easy user interface
- Expensive international shipping
A great place to buy yarn in bulk online. Why? They offer discounts if you buy ten or more of one yarn. Shop for blanket yarn and fibers for other projects, and save. If you want to buy yarn wholesale, contact the seller or buy crochet yarn from a department store.
- Massive range of common and specialty yarn
- Many other crochet supplies – notions, bags, hooks, etc.
- Use your Amazon Prime membership! Get savings and free shipping
- No need to learn a new interface if you’re already an Amazon customer
- Keep track of your online purchases on one site
- Some yarns won’t be available if you don’t live in the United States
- The colors displayed may not be accurate to the actual yarn
Here are some yarns I recommend for Crochet Blankets and dishcloths.
Note: Clicking the above links takes you to further information, current prices, and customer reviews on Amazon.
Furls is known for its luxury hooks, but they also have exclusive yarn lines. Wander is 100% acrylic and Whims Merino is a superwash Merino and Nylon blend. They’re available in gorgeous colors. Furls Crochet has also got you covered with the best yarn bowl.
- Excellent customer service
- Yarns are suited to lots of crochet projects
- They look after their customers
- Lots of patterns by independent designers
- Limited range
- Yarns sell out quickly
This store has lovely yarn and inspires crafters, crocheters, and makers. They’ve bought many brand yarns like Lily Sugar&Cream (aka Lily Sugar N Cream), Patons, Bernat, Caron, and Red Heart. They have an extensive selection, so it’s easy to find yarn! They also sell patterns, notions, books, bags, and more.
- Loved by many crocheters
- Lots of yarn weights, from superfine to worsted weight yarn
- Popular yarn brands in a convenient place.
- Trackable shipping, fast and reliable
- Quick and friendly customer service with email support
- Great price ranges in their yarn line
- Find tutorials on almost anything crafty, knitting and crochet in their learning center – suitable for beginners
- Most of their yarn options don’t have a dye lot
- Many products, from cotton yarn to metal hooks
- Having trouble? You can call, read the FAQ section or fill in the contact form
- Limited luxury and artisan options
- No live chat, but you can email their experts
A small, independent yarn company run by passionate owners. They have a physical location, a small yarn store in the NY area. They specialize in handcrafted, beautiful balls of luxury yarn for everything from socks to baby blankets.
They have new offers daily, so keep an eye out for their wonderful products! There’s terrific wool yarn from sheep and alpaca. Plenty of beautiful fibers for your yarn stash!
- Wonderful hand-dyed luxury skeins and hanks
- They sell some of the best sock yarns
- Wool yarn and plant fibers – the texture is always lovely
- Focuses on independent and small companies and designers
- They source their yarns ethically
- Perfect for gifts for crocheters and craft projects
- Receive frequent emails of what’s on sale and projects to try
- They also sell selections of tools for your hobby
- Fast shipping times
- Good returns policy
- Smaller range than most companies
An online store and a brick-and-mortar shop, Purl Soho, was founded in 2002. It’s a family-owned company. (There’s a pattern in the founding year. Maybe 2002 was good for yarn!)
Exquisite, handcrafted, and unique goods from all over the crochet sphere. Wonderful inspiration for a new project and something to suit anyone of any skill level. Focusing on diversity and inclusion, they listen and engage with their clients.
- Wonderful high-quality products, like their hooks, needles, bags, pouches, a project kit, and other accessories
- Extensive resources and tutorials for all crafts, from weaving to knitting
- Their YouTube channel has classes on mastering certain techniques
- An array of hand-dyed skeins of many colors by artisan producers, from bamboo to mohair to staples like wool
- Perfect for knits like garments and sweaters, and yarn for baby blanket
- Happy customers
- Great return policy, (better than the majority of their competitors) especially for a gift
- Wide selection of fibers in all categories, purposes and materials
- Easy to use
- This business works with suppliers from all over the world
- You get a fast reply from customer service
- Monitor their social channels and Instagram page for giveaways
- High shipping fees
Advantages Of Shopping Online
The yarn store is fantastic. It’s a whole experience! You can feel the yarn material while dreaming of your next project in person. Wonderful. Online, it’s different. You’re behind a computer screen. You can only look with your eyes at pictures and photos. Sometimes the color of the yarn in real life is different from the picture. Don’t be discouraged.
There are some great reasons to shop online.
- If yarn stores aren’t near where you live
- If you have limited mobility
- If you don’t have transport options
- If you don’t feel like going out! (We all have those days)
- Deals and discounts aplenty
- Delivered straight to your door, ordered from anywhere
- Spoilt for choice, there’s hundreds upon thousands to select from!
- Some brands and other stock are only available online
(Note: Don’t give up yarn stores! They’re run by people who love fiber arts. Well worth a visit, and you might make some friends!)
How Do I Shop For Yarn?
Need help ordering types of yarn from home? Of course! Here’s my advice.
- Choose an online yarn store!
- Click the link to open it in your browser
- Use the filters to choose the perfect yarn and knitting supplies
- Add it to your cart, browse for a few other items you ‘need’ 😉
- Apply a deal or discount code if you have one
- Pay for your order at checkout
- Arrange the shipping
- Eagerly await the arrival near your doorstep. This is the fun part. Be patient, for it’ll soon be in your hands!
If you get stuck, every yarn company has a dedicated team to help.
Get The Right Yarn
Important! Remember these questions as you browse yarns.
- What kind of weight?
- What kind of fiber?
- How much do you need?
- What colors?
- What type of yarn?
- Is it machine-washable?
- Reasonable pricing?
- What does it come in (hank, skein, ball, cake?)
- What are you making? (Scarves, mittens, hats, a sweater, or socks?)
Stuck on what project to make? See Ravelry for an infinite supply of ideas.
Don’t Forget Yarn Symbols & Labels!
Yarn labels have a wealth of information on them. Read the label before you buy!
- Yarn Weight – From 0-7, superfine, to super bulky!
- Gauge – Remember this is a rough estimate, don’t forget a swatch first!
- Hook Sizing – Best hook size to use, a match made in heaven
- Yarn Amount – How much you get in one ball
- Care Instructions – You want it to last, don’t you?
- Make a checklist and check back often when considering a yarn.
Things To Remember When Buying Yarn Online
Keep A Checklist Handy
Keep track of what you need! Refer to your pattern/project guidelines. You have lots of choice, so choose something within your preferences.
Read The Details!
Examine the yarn labels. Don’t skim over only for you to miss it wasn’t machine washable, and now it’s felted! That’d be a disaster.
Keep An Eye On Customer Reviews
Read those reviews on the craft stores. Are they positive, negative? Any problems with the qualities they encountered? Learn from others’ mistakes, not yours!
Watch Out For Bargains & Sales
Everyone wants to save money! Here are some tips on how to succeed at this online bargain-hunting thing.
- Yarn websites run sales, promotions, and periodic savings often
- Sign up for the newsletter. (Sometimes, the newsletters offer 10%-15% off your first purchase.)
- Follow the yarn retailers on social media. Sometimes they advertise discounts
- Seasonal sales happen. Take advantage.
- Clearance sales! Winter fibers are in clearance in the warm months. Summer/Spring fibers are in clearance in the colder months.
- Some yarn retailers have a box or bundle pack with a mixture of yarns
- Follow your favorite designer, as sometimes they team up with brands to give their followers exclusive deals
Refunds, Returns & Exchanges
Sometimes the item you bought doesn’t measure up. Ensure you know the return policy before purchasing anything.
Which Is The Best Yarn To Buy?
It depends. Keep in mind what colors, which weight and fiber, and how much you need. Use your project or pattern as a guideline.
Where Can I Buy Inexpensive Yarn?
WeCrochet has great deals and savings regularly. Amazon is an excellent spot to buy yarn in bulk for a discounted price. These are the top two sellers I recommend. Try e-commerce sites like Webs Yarn (they sell supplies for weaving like spinning wheels), Michaels.com, Eat Sleep Knit & Joann too.
Where Can I Find Merino Sock Yarns?
There are wonderful indie dyers that offer Merino Sock Yarns, find them on Instagram, Etsy stores and via websites.
Can You Buy Hedgehog Fibres Online?
You sure can buy Hedgehog Fibres online, buy from them direct.
Are Knitting Yarns Suitable For Crochet?
Knitting yarns are definitely suitable for crochet. Yarns you knit with can also be crocheted.
I hope the information in this resource of the best online yarn shops is useful to you! Do you have a favorite online yarn manufacturer? Let me know your suggestions in the comments or connect with me on Instagram or Facebook. Looking for more info about yarn? See more here.
(1) Kim Werker, Knit Picks Launches Crochet-Specific Brand, WeCrochet: 19 Nov 2019. Retrieved from https://craftindustryalliance.org/knit-picks-launches-crochet-specific-brand-wecrochet/, 13 Feb 2020
Pin For Later