Sick of chasing yarn around as you crochet? It’s a sign you need a yarn bowl.
A beautiful and functional tool to keep yarn in one place. There are many shapes and designs to choose from.
My Quick Recommendations
- My Top Pick – We Crochet Rosewood Yarn Bowl
- Best Luxury Option – Yarn Bowl Hand Thrown Stoneware
- Best Budget Pick – Yarn Valet Yarn Bowl
(Clicking the links takes you to WeCrochet and Etsy.)
Read my reviews and more information in this helpful resource. There are bound to be styles that suit your preferences!
I reviewed and updated this post on January 7, 2022.
Table Of Contents
- Yarn Bowl Buying Guide
- Yarn Valet Yarn Bowl
- Bamboo Yarn Bowl With Lid
- Hagestad Classic Rosewood Yarn Bowl
- Handmade Kitty Cat Yarn Bowl
- Sheep Handmade Ceramic Bowl
- Yarn Bowl Hand Thrown Stoneware
- We Crochet Rosewood Yarn Bowl
- Sculptured Face Ceramic Bowl
- Maplewood Yarn Bowl
- Sheep Ceramic Yarn Bowl
- What Is A Yarn Bowl?
- How To Choose A Yarn Bowl
Yarn Bowl Buying Guide
Here is a selection of some beautiful yarn bowls I’ve reviewed. Enjoy perusing your choices in this yarn bowl collection.
Unruly yarn will be a thing of the past in your home!
Yarn Valet Yarn Bowl
The non-slip rubberized base acts as a suction cup to stop it from moving on smooth surfaces. The entire plastic yarn bowl is unbreakable.
- 6″ length, 3″ height, 6″ width.
- Made of ABS plastic
- Affordable price
- These ones won’t break if knocked over
- Fits smaller balls and larger skeins
- Top hole is for small balls, the bottom one is for larger balls
- Made in the USA
- Easy to stash in your yarn bag
- The company treats its customers well
- Safe around kids and your dog
- Great value
- Ships to the United Kingdom
- Some people might not like the ‘plastic’ look on these tools
- Some may not like the shape
Improve your skills after discovering great yarn bowls with the best beginner crochet kit.
Bamboo Yarn Bowl With Lid
Made from 100% bamboo. The surfaces are smooth, so your yarn won’t catch as you crochet. These bowls come with a lid. This is a great addition to keep yarn clean from dust.
- Measures 5.5″ diameter x 3.5” height.
- Lovely feel and aesthetic
- Bamboo is a sustainable material
- Makes a great gift
- Stay tangle free!
- Ships to nearly any international delivery address
- Only holds small balls of yarn up to 50g with the lid on
How would you like to make your next crochet project extra-special? Discover the best luxury yarn to crochet.
Hagestad Classic Rosewood Yarn Bowl
A high gloss wooden yarn bowl. Polished surfaces, so there’s no chance of yarn snagging on the wood finish.
It keeps good tension.
- Approx 7″ diameter x 4″ height – Fits a 5oz ball of yarn.
Take these items anywhere with the included travel pouch. There are 2 (6.5mm diameter) holes for storing your crochet hooks or knitting needles.
- Lifetime guarantee
- Large size holds bigger balls
- High customer ratings
- Place your notions in it too!
- Supports all sorts of yarn ball sizes
- Great for home décor too
- Has an odor that will go with time
Confused about how to choose yarn for crochet? I’ve got you covered.
Handmade Kitty Cat Yarn Bowl
If you love crochet and cats, this sort of yarn bowl is for you! A handcrafted yarn bowl by RobinBadgerPottery.
- 5 1/2″ in diameter and 3 1/2″ inches in height.
- Fun design and lovely colors
- Sturdy and heavy base
- Smooth surfaces don’t catch the yarn
- A favorite of the crochet and knitting community
- Bring some joy to your hobbies
- If you drop it, it breaks. However, ceramic lasts a lifetime if well looked after
In search of the best online yarn stores? Visit this guide.
Sheep Handmade Ceramic Bowl
This is such a clever design! Something to enjoy looking at time and time again. It’s fired in the kiln at 1200 degrees!
- 6.7″ wide x 4.72″ high
- Heavy base keeps it from moving
- Lightweight enough to be transportable
- Smooth surface
- Nothing to snag or catch the yarn
- Won’t fit larger skeins
Need a crochet tools review? See my article.
Yarn Bowl Hand Thrown Stoneware
Michael Fillus-Sherman of Avior Pottery’s product has a clean, smooth swirly loop for the yarn. The artist sizes them to hold larger amounts of yarn.
The Volcano Blue glaze has an earth-toned bluish-grey body with a rim of deep iridescent color. Makes a real difference to your crochet experience.
- Approximate Dimensions: 5 1/2″ wide X 4″ height.
Each piece is made to order.
- Cute and beautifully handmade
- Gorgeous, functional design
- Smooth swirl cutout for where the yarn goes through
- Great customer reviews
- A true work of art
- Ships free to the United States
- Suits many people
- As each bowl is made to order, expect around 3 weeks for shipping
Now you’ve found some lovely bowls, why not complete it with the best self-striping sock yarn? I sense another project coming along!
We Crochet Rosewood Yarn Bowl
We Crochet prides itself in having products to suit crocheters’ needs. This wooden one keeps your cherished yarn clean and off the floor.
The swirl is super smooth to ensure yarn glides through easily.
- Opening diameter of 5” – middle bowl diameter of 6″.
- Highlighted wood grains for a lovely finish
- Smooth surfaces
- Good for those on a budget
- Excellent for crochet and knitting projects
- Useful for another purpose – an idea is putting lots of small things inside
- Safe to use around children and pets
- Keeps fiber from becoming a mess!
- Won’t hold large skeins
Sculptured Face Ceramic Yarn Bowl
This amazing artwork is bound to bring a smile to your face every time you look at it. It’s a conversation starter!
Each is an original piece with a name on its birth certificate. Some people prefer to name theirs. Tell the seller, and they’ll put that name on.
Dimensions (approx) – 2 3/4″ tall, 6 1/4″ wide, weighs 1.7 lbs
Safe for food use, and glazes are lead-free and non-toxic.
- Fun, practical piece of art
- Large slot to suit any yarn
- Multipurpose – holds chips, nuts, candy and great for a string dispenser
- Good for storing crocheting notions too
- Some have two slots
- No snags
- A variety of designs and versions to choose from
- Prepare for the reactions of family and friends who think it’s less than lovely!
- Pieces are unique, so there’s limited availability. They do custom pieces though
- Made of a fragile material. Treat these things with care
Maplewood Yarn Bowl
It has three places to store your hooks. The glossy coat of the wood design brings out the rich detail of the natural wood grain while providing a luster and glow.
A tapered bowl with a flared opening.
- Top and widest middle – 6″ diameter
- Narrowest point – 4.5″ diameter.
- Lovely to use
- Shop has easy to use interface and checkout
- Suits knitters and crocheters
- The several holes are great for fair isle patterns and other crafts
- Not suitable for large skeins of yarn
Sheep Ceramic Yarn Bowl
This sheep-shaped version keeps your yarn free of annoying tangles and knots. Drop a ball or skein into the center. Thread the yarn through the curly sheep’s tail opening in the back of the bowl.
- Super cute design
- Functional and smooth edges
- Lustrous glaze
- Adorable details
- The cut out doesn’t catch the yarn
- Feels lovely in your hands
- Makes a great decorative piece in your house
- These make great gifts
- Won’t hold a large yarn ball
Glazed Floral Extra Large Yarn Bowl
A pretty orange floral design on a turquoise background
- The extra space means you have more than one ball of yarn at a time
- Fits any yarn weight
- Heavy – weighing 2.75 pounds/1250 g. Don’t drop it on your foot!
Want more options? Try the Nagina International Mango Wood Knitting Bowl or the BambooMN yarn bowl.
What Is A Yarn Bowl?
A Yarn Bowl is a bowl with a flat bottom and high sides, with a swirl cut on one side. This is where the working yarn is threaded through.
The materials they are made from differ.
- Metal (Usually Aluminum)
Often they have circular cutouts for storing hooks or when using more than one yarn in your project.
What Is A Yarn Bowl For?
A yarn bowl keeps your yarn from rolling around when you are crocheting.
I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve tried to wrestle with tangled yarn! Chasing yarn under chairs and tables is annoying. Knots form almost instantaneously in string. (1)
The bowl’s weight allows the ball of yarn to roll around inside without getting tangled. The high sides keep it in place.
Every crocheter needs some essentials (like yarn, hooks, a ruler, and stitch markers), and a yarn bowl is one!
What Is The Point Of A Yarn Bowl? – Factors & Reasons To Consider
The benefits are numerous! Here are some.
- The most important reason is to keep you from wasting time chasing your yarn around! You’ll feel much more content
- Yarn bowls keep your yarn clean, preventing it from collecting fluff or dust
- Move it wherever you feel like working on your crocheting or knitting project
- Useful in other ways too. Like storage for things like keys or use them as a decor piece
- Enhance your crochet or knitting experience
- Convenient when working with multiple yarns in your projects
- They are a yarn holder and also look beautiful in your living room
- Keeping your yarn safe from pets
- Easy to keep within arm’s reach
- Add beauty to your hobby
What Size Yarn Bowl Is Best?
The best size yarn bowl is 6½ – 8″ wide and 3½ – 4½” tall. This fits most yarn balls. The sides are high enough, so it doesn’t jump out.
- Small bowls – 4” across | 2-3” high
- Medium size yarn bowls – 5-6” diameter | 3” high
- Large bowls – 6-8” across | 4-5” high
How Big Should A Yarn Bowl Be?
Measure the range of the width and height of the wound balls you use. It’s best to err on the side of bigger if you use thick threads like bulky yarn.
How To Choose a Yarn Bowl
Here are my tips to pay attention to.
- Wooden, ceramic, plastic, or metal – Which material do you prefer?
- No rough edges where the yarn comes through
- High walls
- What amount of yarn do you want to hold?
- What style do you prefer? There are many to choose from, like classic minamlist designs or ones painted with flowers or text
- Choose something with a good circumference
- Wide, flat base with weight, so it’s stable when the yarn moves around
- An opening where you thread the yarn from the top
What Can I Use Instead Of A Yarn Bowl?
You can use any of the following.
- A teapot
- Woven basket
- A Colander
- Plant pot (with drainage holes)
- Tote bag
- Water jug
- Ziplock bags
Are Yarn Bowls Any Good?
Definitely! They’re well-made, beautiful, and functional.
Yarn bowls make crocheting easier. They keep yarn in place and save you from chasing it all over. Happy crocheting with your new favorite tool!
Want to share your favorite yarn bowl? Tell me in the comments using your email address.
Hope you find a choice you love, and my reviews helped your decision. Looking for more options? See the luxurious furls yarn bowls.
Looking for more info on yarn? See here.
- Jawed, M. K., P. Dieleman, B. Audoly, and P. M. Reis. “Untangling the Mechanics and Topology in the Frictional Response of Long Overhand Elastic Knots.” Physical Review Letters 115, no. 11 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevlett.115.118302.