The Susan Bates Bamboo and Aluminum crochet hooks are a favorite for many crocheters. People who use inline hooks with a sharp throat will love this hook.
Here’s my Susan Bates Bamboo Crochet Hook review.
The bamboo handle provides more comfort when crocheting. The bamboo-handled hooks have a smooth, warm bamboo handle with all the Silvalume head’s advantages.
Although this style of Susan Bates hooks is still on the market, they’re discontinuing this product line. Buying a whole set of the 14 sizes may be difficult, but some sizes are available.
Read the content below for more information and details.
Table of Contents
- Susan Bates Silvalume Bamboo Handle Crochet Hooks
- Susan Bates Steelite Bamboo Handle Crochet Hooks
- Susan Bates Bamboo Crochet Hooks Set
Susan Bates Silvalume Bamboo Handle Crochet Hooks
These Susan Bates Bamboo Handle Crochet Hooks have an aluminum hook section and a bamboo handle.
They’re the perfect marriage of Susan Bates inline hooks and lightweight, smooth and warm bamboo.
The handle only covers the lower half of the shaft below the thumb rest, so the throat and neck are the same lengths as other Susan Bates hooks.
So you can still crochet any stitch you’ve created before using Susan Bates Silvalume Aluminum hooks. The handle is solid.
If you experience discomfort when holding an aluminum handle, this is a great alternative. With larger handles, the hand opens up and relaxes. This makes it easier to crochet longer.
Your tension may also improve!
This hook is also great for crocheters who need a larger handle to prevent or reduce hand cramping. A Silvalume hook features the size etched on the thumb rest.
The hooks from this brand come in different colors for each size.
Hooks measure 5-1/2in.
- Comfortable to hold and is in excellent condition
- These items have a silky smooth surface
- Ships to the United Kingdom and the United States
- Lightweight bamboo handles
- Excellent if you have pain or strain in your hands
- Has good customer reviews from needle crafters
- Use these Susan Bates in-line hooks to make anything from sweaters to home decor patterns
- Bamboo is cool to touch
- Yarn glides smoothly
- Sutiable for knife grip and pencil grip
- Affordable shippingand fast delivery for orders
- Some users found due to the way they hold their hooks, this hook didn’t suit them.
Need a rundown of the essential crochet accessories and tools? I’ll show you.
Susan Bates Steelite Bamboo Handle Crochet Hooks
Use these finer steel hooks with crochet thread. Steelite hooks have the size etched on the thumb rest. 0.9mm – 2.7mm.
This style of Susan Bates Crochet hooks is hard to find. If you know somewhere to get them, let me know!
Susan Bates Bamboo Crochet Hooks Set
All these hooks have a bamboo handle and an inline aluminum hook. Unfortunately, I can’t find the Susan Bates bamboo handle crochet hooks set available to purchase online.
The bamboo went right up to the thumb rest, leaving only the metal throat and head exposed.
- B-1 (2.25mm)
- C-2 (2.75mm)
- D-3 (3.25mm)
- E-4 (3.5mm)
- F-5 (3.75mm)
- G-6 (4.25mm)
- 7 (4.5mm)
- H-8 (5.0mm)
- I-9 (5.5mm)
- J-10 (6.0mm)
- K-10-1/2 (6.5mm)
- L-11 (8mm)
- M-13 (9mm)
- N-15 (10mm)
- Great range of sizes
- Many people give it 5 stars
- Comfortable to hold
- Easy to use
- The perfect combination of a Susan Bates inline crochet hook and a warm bamboo handle.
- With its elegant appearance, bamboo gives you some luxury
It’s frustrating these aren’t readily available! Here are some other, quality products from brands to try.
- Clover Takumi hooks are all bamboo, but are smooth and well-crafted in Japan. Check out my review.
- Though not made of bamboo, rather birch, Lykke hooks are made with sustainable materials by Nepalese craftspeople. See here.
- In a similar vein, WeCrochet sells colorful, comfortable, affordable hooks made of birch. Take a look at my guide.
Do Susan Bates Bamboo Handle Crochet Hooks Come Apart?
I’ve seen one customer review where they’ve experienced the bamboo handle coming off the hook. It may have just been bad luck with a faulty product.
It can happen with manufacturing that some more inferior quality Susan Bates crochet hooks bamboo handle slip through. Always choose to purchase with a store that offers returns.
Where To Buy Bamboo Susan Bates Hooks
Do you want to try this bamboo handle aluminum hook? JOANN or Yarnspirations.com have them in limited stock.
Are Susan Bates Crochet Hooks Bamboo good?
They were excellent! Made of quality, sustainable materials for an affordable price, they combined the best of metal and bamboo.
Who makes Susan Bates Bamboo Crochet Hooks?
Though Susan Bates hooks used to be made in the USA, they’re now made in Mexico.
If you prefer an inline hook with a sharp throat for yarn crocheting or looking for an affordable comfort hook for thread crochet, I recommend the Susan Bates Bamboo Handle hooks.
Are these the exact same Susan bates basic hooks? As in same design and style just adding a handle?
Hi Rachel. Yes they are the inline Susan Bates hooks with a bamboo handle.