Without a crochet hook, there’d be sad, unused yarn! What a waste! I help you choose the best crochet hook and the best crochet set.
Here’s a list of top-rated crochet hooks to buy.
- My Top Pick – Furls Streamline Crochet Hook
- Best Value Pick – Addi Comfort Crochet Hook
- Best Luxury Option – Furls Odyssey Crochet Hook
Once you’ve found something you like, consider buying a complete set.
Here are the best crochet hook sets.
- My Top Pick – Clover Amour Set
- Best Value Pick – Boye Crochet Master Crochet Hooks Set
- Best Luxury Option – Tulip Etimo Crochet Hooks
- Best For Big Projects – Sumit Beachwood Hooks
Note: The above links take you to further information, current prices, and customer reviews on Amazon, We Crochet, and Furls Crochet.
Where Can I Buy Crochet Hooks Online?
When venturing into crochet, try before you buy. Have a local yarn store? Ask the lovely store people for help. Go to department stores or large craft stores.
I reviewed and updated this post on January 7, 2022.
Table Of Contents
- The Best Crochet Hooks
- Majestic Crochet Hook
- Furls Streamline
- Furls Odyssey
- Addi Comfort Hook
- Pony Aluminum Crochet Hooks
- Addi Swing
- Prym Ergonomic Hooks
- The Best Crochet Hook Set
- Boye Crochet Master Set
- Clover Soft Touch Hook
- Mosaic Set
- Susan Bates Set
- WooCrafts Crochet Hooks Set
- BCMRUN Multicolor Hooks
- Sumit Beachwood Hooks
- Clover Amour Set
- Tulip Etimo
- What Makes The Best Crochet Hooks
18 Best Crochet Hooks To Buy
Here are my 18 top-rated crochet hooks and where to buy them.
This is a longer Crochet Hook – 7″. The teak wood is lightweight and comfortable.
Has a signature teardrop body shape designed to fit into the MCP joint of the human hand. Distributes tension through the hook.
- This crochet hook weighs 1oz
- Super lightweight
- The larger handle and longer length feels comfortable to work with
- Some crocheters found they crochet faster using this hook
- Many customer reviews are five stars
- Variety of sizes, so you work with any yarn size
- Create simple and complicated crochet stitches easily. Even the bullion stitch
- Suitable for almost any of the ways you hold a hook
- This item is praised for its sturdiness
- Suitable for anyone, from the beginner to the expert
- Although one of the more affordable Furls hooks, it’s still pricey
After exploring great hooks for crocheting, learn about a beginners crochet kit for adults.
Majestic Crochet Hook
This hook’s blue and purple colorway is appealing whenever you’re in the mood to crochet.
Making these colorful tools perfect for tackling any crochet project.
- Variety of sizes
- Warm to the touch
- Smooth surface
- Pretty color
- Sizes aren’t marked; remember to put them back in the packaging.
Look at my guide to the perfect gift for a crocheter – they’re great for loved ones.
Furls Odyssey Crochet Hook
This hook features a nickel-plated pewter tip and an ergonomic designed black handle. It glides through the project. A smooth finish and feel.
- Many crocheters adore working with this stylish hook
- Ergonomic crochet hooks available in 11 sizes
- Great for many crochet projects
- Looks beautiful
- Easy to use
- Many rate this as 5 stars
- More expensive than other hooks
- Considerable investment
- Ergonomic hooks are heavier because of the weight balance.
- If you have nickel allergies, these are not for you
Want information on crochet gadgets? See here.
Addi Comfort Grip Crochet Hook
Addi® Comfort Grip hook, featuring color-coded plastic handles for ease of organization. Perfect for those seeking a comfortable grip.
The head has
- Shiny finish
- Rounded lip
- Rounded groove
- Good for stitches requiring loading as the shaft is long enough to hold them
- A soft grip
- No thumb rests
What is the best sock yarn? Find out in my article.
Pony Aluminum Crochet Hooks
Pony hooks are sturdy. These aluminium hooks (aluminum) come in a range of sizes from 2mm-5mm.
- 6″ (15cm) in length.
- Good quality aluminum
- Excellent option for beginners
- Smooth surface
- Size marked on the shaft
- Comfortable thumb rest
- Cheap price
- Feels cold
- The anodized surface may wear off
It grips but slides through the stitches. No snagging or splitting the fiber. Each hook is color-coded by size. Printed metric measurement on the handle.
They have a version suitable for lace crochet.
- Fits comfortably in hand.
- Silicone handle grip is comfortable
- Great for those with arthritis
- No matter your grip style, this tool suits all crocheters
- Excellent star rating
- Soft grip
- Addi products come with a lifetime guarantee
- Only metric, not US measurements
- Short shaft makes loading stitches more difficult
- Good value for money
Prym Ergonomic Crochet Hook
Prym hooks have no defined thumb rests, but this doesn’t affect comfort.
They created the first design years ago. They’ve only gotten better. The ergonomic handle becomes narrower at the end. It’s shorter than other hooks.
Colored handles are different for each size.
- Comfortable feel, suitable for people with hand cramps
- Lightweight rubber grip handles
- Great for the knife grip crocheter
- Good for almost all weight yarns
- Great customer service (Via their contact form, not their email address)
- Excellent size hooks for most
- Affordable price
- Some don’t like the plastic feel
- Point and lip are blunt. Annoying if you have a tight tension
The Best Crochet Hook Sets
Here are my top recommendations and choices for the best crochet hooks sets. Shopping and browsing through the different styles and tools are annoying! So I’ve searched so you get back to crocheting faster.
Boye Crochet Master Steel & Aluminum Crochet Hooks Set
The Boye Crochet Master hook set is perfect for the beginner crocheter.
This set includes
- 24 crochet hooks
- Zippered case to keep them neat and organized.
With this many options, complete any crochet project you want.
- Smaller crochet hooks – Steel, great for thread
- Larger crochet hooks in this crochet hook set – Aluminum
- Crochet hook set comes in a compact case
- Different colors denote different sizes
- Tapered head for easy crocheting.
- No splitting of the fiber because of the rounded head
- To suit almost any crochet style
- Some people get wrist aches when using these hooks for extended periods.
Clover Soft Touch Crochet Hook
Hold your hook in a pencil grip? This set is for you. The heads have a tapered shape, so the hook glides. Many crocheters love them.
The ergonomic handles have a flatter shape than most. This set includes 8 lightweight crochet hooks and a Velcro pouch to keep them organized.
The hook heads of this clover crochet hook set have a
- Tapered shape
- Smooth finish
- Great for people who have problems with their hands or wrist
- Many readers recommended these
- Soft rubber grip
- Gives a great crocheting result
- Does not come in a pouch
Mosaic Crochet Hooks Set
The Mosaic set combines the radiant, Caspian, and majestic for lots of colors. They’re high quality because of their sleek design and smooth finish.
- A pleasing array of shades
- The wood feels pleasant and warm
- Sizes aren’t marked
- It could be hard to use for someone with smaller hands
WooCrafts Crochet Hook Set
The 9-piece Woocrafts crochet hooks set includes 2.0mm – 6.0mm.
Each has a nonslip rubber handle. Be comfortable crocheting for hours. The ergonomic design puts little stress on joints.
WooCrafts offer a lifetime replacement guarantee on their crochet hook sets.
- Includes extras – 9 large-eye Blunt steel sewing needles for sewing in ends, stitch markers, and a pouch (storage box)
- The crochet hook handle has colors to denote the sizes. With time, you’ll recognize which color is which size.
- Some users reported the dark brown handled hook has the size in black, making it hard to read.
- It’s cheap, but you get the quality you pay for.
Susan Bates Silvalume Crochet Hook Set
These inline hooks are made of anodized aluminum to remove imperfections. Heat-treated and polished metal hooks provide a smooth finish.
Metal hooks come in different colors to help you pick out the right one.
Susan Bates has great crochet hook sets, and this is no exception.
Each set contains 6 hooks: 3.75mm – 6.5mm.
- Perfect for budget-conscious individuals
- Light to hold
- Materials of high quality
- Knife hold crocheters will find this useful
- Comfortable thumb rest
- A great inline hook
- Great for beginners
- Readers recommend this pack for beginners
- Available in many major craft retailers
- Not suitable for crocheters who find aluminum cold
BCMRUN Multicolor Aluminum Crochet Hooks
Each hook is colored for a different size. Made of aluminum, they’re light in your hand, and they’re comfortable to use.
This set includes 14 6″ long hooks – 2.0mm – 10mm.
- Rounded, tapered hooks like a Boye hook
- Good value for money
- Excellent for beginners
- Suits many yarn weights
- No US letter sizing
(A crocheter thought of marking the letter or number size with a Sharpie marker on the hook. Then wrap clear tape over to preserve it. Clever!)Check Price On Amazon
Sumit Beachwood Hooks
For those who enjoy crocheting with wood. These wood hooks are worth a look. These craft and art supplies are made from ashwood.
Three hooks in the set – 15-25mm
- Sanded finish slips through the working thread
- Grooves hold the yarn loops as you work.
- Great for beginners
- Feels warm and comfortable in the hand
- Not suitable for thinner yarns
Clover Amour Crochet Hook
Add some color to your toolkit. Each colored soft handle denotes a particular size. The size is engraved, not printed on.
- Yarn moves smoothly and doesn’t split as you stitch
- Head and tip of the plastic and aluminum hook are slightly pointed
- Thumb rest gives great comfort
- Colorful handles
- Has the inline hook style
- Will suit you regardless of how you grip the hook
- A different material for the two parts – a plastic handle and metal shaft
- Made of plastic
- Comfortable to hold, even when crocheting for long periods
- The perfect hook for beginner crocheters
- The aluminum shaft isn’t the entire handle length, so the handle’s end is flexible. (This isn’t a problem for most.)
Tulip Etimo Crochet Hooks
Those who love pink appreciate Tulip Etimo Rose hooks! The hook is slightly pointed, and the groove is straight.
Set pieces count includes ten hooks: 2.0mm – 6.0mm.
- Tulip Etimo Rose brand is the favourites of many crocheters.
- Tulip hooks glide through stitches
- Handles are comfortable
- Reduces wrist motion, reducing wrist pain.
- Feels good in the hands
- Handles in varying shades of pink
- As you create stitches, the yarn glides smoothly
- The kit includes a stitch holder and a stitch marker
- Suits any grip style
- Only metric sizes
- Stickers are used as labels for sizing
- Can squeak with some yarns
- High price
Looking for a few more options? Here’s a selection of good bets.
- Athena's Elements Crochet Hooks Set – Great for beginners, and affordable.
- Lion Brand Yarn Crochet Hooks – Excellent for large, bulky projects.
- Bcmrun Aluminum Crochet Hooks Set – Another budget set option.
- Clover Bamboo Hooks – Great set of smooth bamboo.
What Makes The Best Crochet Hooks
Accessories? Are They Worth It?
Sometimes a set of the best crochet hooks includes a few other items, thus upping the price. Like
- Stitch markers
- Yarn needles
- Thread hook
- Row counter
- Measuring tape
Decide if you need them, or buy the cheaper set.
Note: Some brands have special offers of free patterns with your purchase.
Carry Case Or Pack?
If it’s a set, this is important! Most carry cases and are plastic, like a vinyl case. Another sort of material, like fabric, is much rarer and more expensive.
You need a simple storage solution.
Buying a set of over one hook? Have a color-coded set because it’s easier to select the right size you need.
Most brands offer these. A company would be mad not to!
The best crochet hooks come in many colors, a great way to bring a smile to your face when you crochet.
Let’s discuss grips. Popular ones are the knife grip and the pencil grip.
- Pencil Grip – Hold the hook over the crotch of the thumb
- Knife Hold – Hold the hook underneath the palm
Neither is better than the other, and it’s different for everyone. You may switch between a knife hold and a pencil hold, or you have a hybrid grip.
The handle is where you’ll have your hand, which must be comfortable and suited to the way you hold a hook.
Is The Head The Right Shape?
Examine the head of the product, and have a look at the three parts I’ve mentioned, the groove, the lip, and the point. The tip is pointed or rounded. The best one is semi-blunt. It’s the easiest of all the shapes to use.
The groove is straight or sounded. Rounded is best as it holds yarn easily.
The length depends on what kind of stitch work and crochet you do and how comfortable they are. The right size is essential.
Steel, plastic, aluminum, bamboo hooks, wood, and even glass! Different materials suit different yarns. Check the yarn for recommendations.
This is important because you don’t want to slip and lose your stitches! All the best crochet hooks have this feature.
Fair Return Policy?
Returning a hook seems a silly idea, but it could happen. Ensure the return policy is fair, and read the fine print!
Live in the US? Shipping shouldn’t be a problem, but check if shipping rates are reasonable. Live outside the US? Product availability may be limited.
What Kind Of Crochet Hooks Are Best For Beginners?
Aluminum. There’s a range of sizes, plus they’re affordable. Perfect for your first crochet project!
What Are The Most Comfortable Crochet Hooks?
The best ergonomic crochet hooks relieve wrist pain. Also, conditions like tendonitis, arthritis, and carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms. Crochet for longer!
What Type Should You Use?
It depends on the project, the yarn, and the pattern. Most yarns have a recommended hook size.
Does Walmart Have Crochet Hooks?
Yes, they sell crochet hooks. Check your store stocks them.
I hope you find the best crochet hook.
If you’re a beginner, which looks good? If you’ve crocheted for a while, what’s your favorite hook to use, and why?
Have a question? Leave it in the comments.