They manufacture two different types, long crochet hooks with a stopper at the end, and a long double-ended hook. Both available individually and in sets, although the latter is slightly harder to find.
Read on for my review.
Table Of Contents
- Susan Bates Tunisian Hook
- Susan Bates Tunisian Crochet Hook Set
- Susan Bates Flexible Tunisian Hooks
- Susan Bates Double Ended Tunisian Crochet Hook
- Old Susan Bates Tunisian Crochet Hooks
- Susan Bates Tunisian Crochet Hooks Colors
Susan Bates Tunisian Hook
The quintessential and most widely available Tunisian crochet hooks available from Susan Bates. They’re part of the larger Susan Bates Silvalume line, made with smooth, colorful aluminum.
- Sizes Available – Size K (6.5mm)
- Length – 14″
- Made From – Anodized Aluminum
- The alumium its made from is anodized, and the anodizing process removes any surface impurities.
- Good length
- Smooth and yarn slides along easily
- Not available in some countries outside the US & North America
- Some found the head wasn’t sharp enough
Susan Bates Tunisian Crochet Hook Set
I’ve researched a set containing Tunisian crochet hooks; however, I couldn’t find any. Unforuntaley, it seems Susan Bates doesn’t sell them in sets, only individually.
If you know of anywhere online where you can buy a Susan Bates Tunisian Crochet Hook Set, please let me know down in the comments.
Susan Bates Flexible Tunisian Hooks
Flexible Tunisian hooks are a long crochet hook ending in a plastic cord and a stopper at the end of that.
Used for Tunisian crochet or afghan crochet that needs lots of stitches to be worked simultaneously, like if you were crocheting a blanket.
- Sizes Available – US Size G 6
- Length – 22″
- Made From – Anodized Aluminum
- Good quality
- Yarn glides easily
- Some found the quality wasn’t very good
- Some found the head and hook weren’t sharp enough
- A limited selection of sizes
Susan Bates Double Ended Tunisian Crochet Hook
Made of plastic and part of the Susan Bates Luxite range, this is only available in larger sizes for thicker, bulkier yarns. Perfect for bulky Tunisian and afghan crochet makes, the plastic is smooth and lightweight.
- Sizes Available –
- Length – 10″
- Made From – Smooth Plastic
- Comfortable to use
- Probably a bit too grippy for some people
- Limited sizing available
- Not available outside the US & Canada
Old Susan Bates Tunisian Crochet Hooks
Sometimes Vintage Susan Bates Tunisian Crochet Hooks are available. Though hard to find, there are a few options. An excellent choice for collectors, crocheters, and lovers of vintage fiber arts tools alike.
Flexible Afghan Crochet Hooks, 22″
Several sizes available, vintage stock from the around the 1950s, all in excellent condition.
Vintage Afghan Crochet Hooks
A set from the early 1990s, however, it’s a set of only one size in good condition.
Susan Bates Tunisian Crochet Hooks Colors
Here is a list of the Susan bates Tunisian crochet hook colors, and their equivalent US and Metric Sizes.
- Light Gold – US B-1 – Metric – 2.25mm
- Light Pink – US C-2 – Metric – 2.75mm
- Light Blue – US D-3 – Metric – 3.25mm
- Light Peach – US E-4 – Metric – 3.50mm
- Grey Pink – US F-5 – Metric – 3.75mm
- Pink – US G-6 – Metric – 4.00mm
- Blue – US H-8 – Metric – 5.00mm
- Red – US I-9 – Metric – 5.50mm
- Gold – US J-10 – Metric – 6.00mm
- Green – US K-10.5 – Metric – 6.50mm
- Silver – US L-11 – Metric – 8.00mm
- Grey Light Blue – US M-13 – Metric – 9.00mm
- Pink Bronze – US N-15 – Metric – 10.00mm
Tunisian crochet is an interesting and unique form of crochet, and these affordable crochet hooks from Suan Bates are sure to help you get started with this technique.
Do you do Tunisian crochet? Have you used these crochet hooks? I’m sure other readers would be interested to hear about your experience. Leave your thoughts down below.