These crochet hooks are super small and fine, designed for crochet lace or making things with crochet thread. Ever wondered why they’re made of steel? That’s the only material strong enough even when in such a small size.
Read my reviews of the best in this crochet hook material.
Steel crochet hooks (chrochet hooks) are labeled with numbers. The larger the number, the smaller the hook. From 00 or 0 (the biggest) to 14 (the smallest).
Table Of Contents
- Steel Crochet Hooks Sets
- Boye Steel Crochet Hooks
- Susan Bates Steel Crochet Hooks
- Clover Steel Crochet Hooks
- Tulip Crochet Hooks Steel
- Addi Steel Crochet Hooks
- Milwards Steel Crochet Hooks
- Crochet Dude Steel Hooks
- Knitters Pride Soft Feel Steel Crochet Hooks
- Steel Crochet Hooks Hobby Lobby
- Vintage Steel Crochet Hooks
- Your Questions Answered
Steel Crochet Hooks Sets
MW Set Of 16
- Sizes Included – 16 Steel Crochet Hooks: 0.5mm, 0.6mm, 0.7mm, 0.8mm, 0.9mm, 1.0mm, 1.1mm, 1.25mm, 1.3mm, 1.4mm, 1.5mm, 1.6mm, 1.75mm, 1.9mm, 2.1mm, & 2.7mm.
- Length – Approx 12cm
- The size is imprinted on the thumb rest
- May have patches of roughness
Boye Steel Crochet Hooks
This package contains six silver steel crochet hook in assorted sizes.
- Sizes Included – US-0 (3.25mm) US-1 (2.75mm) US-7 (1.65mm) US-8 (1.5mm) US-9 (1.4mm) and US-10 (1.3mm)
- Length – 5 inches
- Perfect size to make snowflakes, doilies, and other crochet thread projects.
- You get what you pay for
Susan Bates Steel Crochet Hooks
These hooks are made of the finest nickel-plated steel for crocheting the finest crochet thread lace projects.
– Includes a 3.5″ x 7″ vinyl case for easy storage.
6 sizes in the following sizes
- 0 (2.55 mm)
- 1 (2.35 mm)
- 7 (1.50 mm)
- 8 (1.40 mm)
- 9 (1.25 mm)
- 10 (1.15 mm)
Length – 5″ long
- Excellent quality
- Both mm and US sizes are imprinted on the thumb rest
Clover Steel Crochet Hooks
Here is a quick guide to the clover steel range.
Clover Soft Touch Steel Crochet Hooks
Set of 7 Crochet Hooks by Clover Japan in the Stylish Crochet Hook Case. Steel crochet hooks have a patented ergonomic soft-touch handle for easy crocheting.
They are used for beading, jewelry making, and lace making. Perfect for fine threads. The hook comes with a protective cover for safe storage.
Hook Sizes Included –
- Size 0 (1.75mm)
- Size 2 (1.50mm)
- Size 4 (1.25mm)
- Size 6 (1.00mm)
- Size 8 (0.90mm)
- Size 10 (0.75mm)
- Size 12 (0.60mm)
- Lovely ergonomic handle
- The handle is a durable resin
- No other color options
Clover Amour Steel Crochet Hooks
These crochet hooks are made of steel with the same soft-grip handle for the other Crochet Amour Hooks. The colors of the handles are pastel.
These smaller sizes are perfect for amigurumi, lacework, and intricate designs with fine thread.
Sizes Available –
- No. 0 (1.75mm)
- No. 2 (1.50mm)
- No. 4 (1.25mm)
- No. 6 (1.00mm)
- No. 8 (0.90mm)
- No. 10 (0.75mm)
- No. 12 (0.60mm)
- Pastel-colored handles
- Smooth steel
Clover Amour Steel Pastel Bright New Crochet Hooks Set
It seems this used to be available online, but is no longer, unfortunately. If you know where it’s available for purchase, please let me know in the comments.
Tulip Steel Crochet Hooks
Here are some of the best tulip etimo steel crochet hooks.
Tulip ETIMO Rose Steel Crochet Hook
The elastomer cushion grip makes crocheting more comfortable and less stressful on your hands.
Sizes Available –
- 0 – 1.75mm
- 2 – 1.50mm
- 4 – 1.25mm
- 6 – 1.00mm
- 8 – 0.90mm
- 10 – 0.75mm
- 12 – 0.60mm
- 14 – 0.50mm
- 15 – 0.45mm
- 16 – 0.40mm
Addi Steel Crochet Hooks
Addi Swing Steel Crochet Hooks
Addi Swing crochet hook set containing seven ergonomic hooks complete with high-quality synthetic leather case. These are also known as Addi Swing Minis Steel Crochet Hooks.
The set contains seven hooks sizes:
- Comfortable handle
- Just a hint of flexibility
- Fits right into the curve of the hand
- More expensive than other brands but worth the investment for comfort and quality.
Milwards Steel Crochet Hooks
Very Vintage steel hooks by Milward, made in England.
Sizes Available – Sizes 2/0 through 16
Length – 5 inches
- Great for collectors of vintage crochet tools
- Some of them are not in pristine condition
Crochet Dude Steel Hooks
The Crochet Dude Steel Crochet Hooks feature the preferred taper throat and smooth rounded head.
- Sizes Included – 00 (3.5 mm), 0 (3.25 mm), 1 (2.75 mm), 2 (2.25 mm), 4 (2 mm), 6 (1.8 mm), 8 (1.5) and 9 (1.4 mm).
- Style Of Hook – Tapered
- Notions Included – Hooks come in a handy organizer with loops to hold the hooks and two clear pockets on the inside of the case for holding small notions.
- Good range of sizes
- Case is oversized and not very practical for holding these hooks
Knitters Pride Soft Feel Steel Crochet Hooks
Knitter’s Pride Soft Feel Crochet Hooks-An innovative product with an ergonomically designed handle. Smooth handle and grip is ideal for crocheters of all skill levels. Steel bodied hook is strong and durable.
Sizes Available – 0.5mm, 0.75mm, 1.0mm, 1.25mm and 1.5mm
- Ergonomic handles
- Able to crochet for more extended periods on fine projects
- Only available in 5 sizes
Steel Crochet Hooks Hobby Lobby
Affordable steel hooks in a range of sizes
- Sizes Available – 0 (3.25 mm), 1 (2.75 mm), 2 (2.25 mm), 3 (2.1mm), 4 (2 mm), 5 (1.9mm), 6 (1.8 mm), 7 (1.65mm), 8 (1.5) and 9 (1.4 mm), 10 (1.3mm), 11 (1.1mm), 12 (1mm) and 14 (0.75mm)
- Reasonably priced
- Might be a little rough in some sections
Vintage Steel Crochet Hooks
Boye produced hooks with this marking style from the 1930s through the 1940s. These hooks show wear appropriate to their age. Some are stained, a few are a bit less than straight.
The seller is a crocheter, too, so be confident that she won’t send you anything she wouldn’t use.
Various small sizes.
- If you love vintage Boye Steel hooks, this is for you
- As they are vintage, they show their age
Your Questions Answered
What Are Steel Crochet Hooks Used For
Steel crochet hooks are used for delicate crochet work, bead crochet, doilies, and lacework.
Steel Crochet Hooks Material – What Are They Made From?
Steel crochet hooks are made from steel or sometimes nickel plated steel.
Standard Vs. Steel Crochet Hooks
Standard Crochet Hooks have larger diameters and are made from various materials- aluminum, bamboo, wood, resin, plastic, and steel crochet hooks are very small diameters made from steel.
Many folks have with using steel crochet hooks because your hand can tire from holding the tiny handle.
Which Steel Lace Crochet Hooks Is Best?
As they are used for very fine crocheting, a steel hook with an ergonomic handle is best. This helps make crocheting more comfortable.
What Are The Best Steel Crochet Hooks For Thread?
If you’d like to purchase a set of commonly used sizes, Boye makes a set that’s good for getting started.
Who Makes The Best Steel Crochet Hooks
The Best Steel Crochet Hooks are those with an ergonomic handle.
Where To Buy Steel Crochet Hooks
It’s pretty easy to pick up steel crochet hooks at a yard sale or thrift store, as they were very popular years ago and haven’t changed much!
What Is A Size 6 Steel Crochet Hook?
A size six steel crochet hook is 1.8mm in diameter.
Where Can I Buy Steel Metric Sized Crochet Hooks For .6mm, .75mm, 1mm,1.25mm, 1.5mm, 1.7?
You can buy these sizes online and in craft stores.
I hope this helped you find the best steel crochet hook.
Do you use these crocheting hooks? If so, what for, and what’s your favorite brand? I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.
READ NEXT – Want more info on hooks and their types? See here.