If you’re looking for a review of the best Boye hooks for your next project, look no further than this comprehensive guide and list with information on different sizes and materials.
Some crocheters prefer them for their tapered shape and rounded point. The Simplicity Boye brand of crochet hooks has many styles and materials.
Boye hooks have a long shaft, so the thumb rest is further down the handle. Boye hooks have a tapered hook and throat. This part pushes through your yarn. The head and shaft of the crochet hook (croshay hook) aren’t a perfect cylinder and taper down the shaft.
I reviewed, fact checked and updated this post on April 12, 2023.
Table Of Contents
- Boye Plastic Crochet Hooks
- Boye Aluminum Crochet Hooks
- Boye Tunisian Crochet Hooks
- Boye Steel Crochet Hooks
- Boye Ergonomic Crochet Hooks
- Boye Vintage Crochet Hook
- Boye Crochet Hook Sets
- Boye Crochet Hook Case
- Boye Crochet Hook Sizes
- Your Questions Answered
The Best Boye Crocheting Hooks
Plastic Crochet Hooks BoyeClick to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
- Sizes Available – The packet contains one US P/11.5mm plastic crochet hook and one Q/15.75mm plastic crochet hook.
- Made From – Plastic
- Great for jumbo/chunky yarns
- Good for beginners
- Users found they received hooks with indentations on both sides of the hook
- The pictures show a smooth handle, which seems to be incorrect
Boye Aluminum Crochet Hooks
- Sizes: B-2.25mm, C-2.5mm, D-3.25mm, E-3.5mm, F-3.75mm, G-4.25mm, H-5.0mm, I-5.25mm, J-5.75mm, K-6.5mm, L-8mm, N-10mm
- Made From – Aluminum
- Different colors
- Each aluminum crochet hook is lightweight
- Some people experience hand fatigue after long periods of crocheting
- Doesn’t offer free shipping
- Hook Size: H
- Style Of Hook – Afghan/Tunisian
- Length – 14 Inches
- Made From – Aluminum
- Doesn’t split the yarn
- Knob at the end to stop stitches coming off the hook
- Smooth anodized aluminum surface
- Some found the hook too small
- Not often available
Steel Crochet Hooks
- Sizes: 0.75mm – 14, 0.85mm – 13, 1.0mm – 12, 1.1mm – 11, 1.3mm – 10, 1.4mm – 9, 1.5mm – 8, 1.65mm – 7. 1.8mm – 6, 1.9mm – 5, 2mm – 4, 2.1mm – 3, 2.25mm – 2, 2.75mm – 1, 3.25mm – 0, 3.5mm – 00
- Made From – Steel
- Perfect for lacework
- Use with crochet thread
- Some people experience cramping after long periods of crocheting
- Sizes: D – 3.125 mm, E – 3.5 mm, F – 3.75 mm, G – 4.0 mm, H – 5.0 mm, I – 5.5 mm, J – 6.0 mm, K – 6.5 mm, and L – 8 mm
- Style Of Hook – Aluminum hook with a soft plastic colored handle
- Letter and mm sizing printed on the handle
- Ergonomic handle
- Smaller sizes not available
Boye Vintage Crochet Hook
A selection of Boye Vintage crochet hooks. The hooks are anodized aluminum in different colors. “Boye” with the quotation marks are older than hooks without the quotes. These hooks came before the ones with the price embossed on the grip.
- Sizes Available – G-6.0mm, J-10, K-10.5
- Made From – Aluminum
- These supplies are made in the USA
- This shop offers an excellent selection of other vintage items
- Some wear and tear as they are vintage
For more on which hook set and crochet kits to choose, read my post sharing the best Boye Crochet Hook Sets.
Boye Crochet Hooks CaseCheck Price On Amazon
Fits 8 Aluminum Boye hooks on one side and 16 Steel Crochet Hooks on the other. It’s a durable vinyl with velour lining. With 24 fitted hook plastic inserts.
- Suitable for crocheting on the go
- Not for hooks with ergonomic handles.
- Not very good quality
- The loops that hold onto the crochet hooks are not elastic. They’re hard plastic.
I’ve completed a guide to all the Boye Crochet Hook sizes, read more.
FAQs About Boye Crocheting Hooks
What’s The Difference Between Boye Crochet Hooks And Susan Bates Crochet Hooks?
Boye hooks have a tapered hook and throat. This is the part of the hook that pushes through your yarn. The head and shaft are not a perfect cylinder and gently taper down the shaft of the hook. Boye hooks have a long shaft, so the thumb rest is slightly further down on the handle.
Susan Bates hooks have an inline throat. The head and shaft are basically like a cylinder with a small notch for the yarn. Bates hooks have a short shaft, and the thumb rest is closer to the head of the hook. They have a more extended handle. The hook head is more pointy than Boye.
Boye Vs Susan Bates
It comes down to which style of hook suits you best. Some crocheters will only crochet with Susan Bates Hooks, and others only use Boye.
Who Makes Boye Crochet Hooks?
The company Simplicity.
What Make Boye Crochet Hooks Different?
They differ from others in that they are a tapered hook. The head and shaft are not a perfect cylinder and gently taper down the shaft of the hook.
Why Are Boye Crochet Hooks In Such Odd Sizes?
They are not necessarily odd sizes, but letter sizing does differ between brands. Best to go with the mm size you need.
Where To Buy Boye Crochet Hooks
You can buy them online at Amazon, Etsy, online craft stores and local yarn stores.
Where Are Boye Crochet Hooks Made?
Boye Crochet Hooks are made in China.
How Long Are Boye Crochet Hooks?
Boye Crochet Hooks are 6 inches long.
Do you love crocheting with Boye hook? I’d love to hear about your experiences. Leave me a comment below or get in touch here.
Pin For Later