Plastic crochet hooks are probably the most common type of hook. They’re inexpensive and don’t rust. They flex a bit, so your hands won’t tire as quickly. Plastic hooks are available in jumbo sizes, but not in a small hook size.
Plastic hooks are perfect if you are a beginner. They won’t cost too much when buying the you need.
Yarns sometimes don’t glide over the hook as quickly due to friction. This can create a ‘squeaky feeling.’ Some people find working with a plastic crochet hook causes their hand to sweat.
I cover the pros and cons of various Plastic crochet hooks below.
Table Of Contents
- Types Of Plastic Crochet Hooks For Sale
- Plastic Crochet Hooks Set
- Boye Plastic Crochet Hooks
- Susan Bates Plastic Crochet Hooks
- Pony Plastic Crochet Hooks
- Loops And Threads Plastic Crochet Hooks
- Addi Gold Glitter Plastic Crochet Hooks
- Tunisian Crochet Hooks Set With Plastic Cable Set
- Plastic Tunisian Crochet Hooks
- Plastic Large Size Crochet Hooks
- Your Questions Answered
Types Of Plastic Crochet Hooks For Sale
Plastic Crochet Hooks Set
Lion Brand Crochet Hooks – Set of Six, includes sizes F-5, G-6, H-8, I-9, J-10, and K-10.5. They are made of plastic. Each hook is marked with its size.
- Good range of sizes
- Color-coded for easy identification
- You may get a slight squeaking noise with some yarns
Boye Plastic Crochet Hooks
The set includes 4 Jumbo sized crochet hooks.
- Sizes Included – Hooks for crochet come in sizes L (8mm), M (9mm), N (10mm), and P (11.5mm).
- Style Of Hook – Tapered throat
- Great for crocheting chunky/bulky yarns
- No thumb rest
- Some yarns may not glide over the hook
Susan Bates Plastic Crochet Hooks
Luxite is a specially formulated plastic material that’s very durable. Susan Bate’s famous inline head helps reduce wrist motion. It allows you to maintain a consistent gauge. This 5-1/2in set includes sizes.
- Sizes Included – US F5, G6, H8, I9, J10 and K10.5 (3.75mm, 4mm, 5mm, 5.5mm, 6mm, and 6.5mm).
- Style Of Hook – Inline
- Length – 5 1/2 Inches
- Hooks are labeled with sizes
- Great for traveling
- Thumb rest for comfort
- Some users found their yarn didn’t glide
Pony Plastic Crochet Hooks
Pony plastic crochet hooks are gray in color and lightweight.
- Sizes Available – 6mm, 6.5mm, 7.0mm, 9.0mm and 12mm
- Style Of Hook – Tapered
- Functional thumb rest
- Durable plastic
- Not many sizes
Loops And Threads Plastic Crochet Hooks
These plastic crochet hooks are used with worsted weight yarn. The set includes the hook sizes of G, H, I, J, K (4, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5 mm).
- Durable plastic
- Some yarns don’t glide over easily
Addi Gold Glitter Plastic Crochet Hooks
Addi gold glitter crochet hooks are made from high-quality plastic and are available in the following sizes:
10mm – length 14cm approx
12mm & 15mm – length 15cm approx
20mm – length 22cm approx
- No burs on the surface
- Great for chunky yarn
- Pretty to look at
Tunisian Crochet Hooks Set With Plastic Cable Set
Includes 12 different sizes, each with a long, flexible plastic cable. You can adjust the place of the ending beads and decide if you need to cut the extra cable base on your need.
US Size D (3.5mm), Size G (4.0mm), Size 7 (4.5mm), Size H (5mm), Size I (5.5mm), Size J (6mm), Size K (6.5mm), US 7 (7mm), Size L (8mm), Size M (9mm), Size N (10mm), & US O (12mm).
- Some users experienced the hooks breaking
Plastic Tunisian Crochet Hooks
Made by Addi, these gold glitter Tunisian hooks are a delight to crochet with.
- Sizes Available – US J (6mm), US K (7mm), US L (8mm)
- Style Of Hook – Tapered
- Length – Available in 12” length
- Smooth surface
- Fun glitter look
Plastic Large Size Crochet Hooks
These packs contain two jumbo sizes of Boye hooks.
- Sizes Available – US P/11.5mm and Q/15.75mm
- Great for beginners
- Some yarns don’t glide over smoothly
Your Questions Answered
What Size Are The Gray Plastic Crochet Hooks?
Gray plastic hooks come in various sizes.
How To Keep Plastic Crochet Hooks From Squeaking
To keep plastic crochet hooks from squeaking when working with different yarns isn’t easy. This is why some crocheters never use plastic hooks.
Try washing them with warm soapy water, rinse well and dry. Do this regularly.
Why Are Crochet Hooks Sold In Plastic
Plastic crochet hooks are an affordable option and suitable for beginners.
Where To Buy Addi Gold Glitter Plastic Crochet Hooks
Addi Gold Glitter Crochet hooks can be purchased online at Amazon, Etsy, and in craft stores.
Who Makes Plastic Crochet Hooks?
Many companies make plastic hooks, some of the well-known companies who do are:
- Lion Brand
- Susan Bates
Why Are The Larger Clover Crochet Hooks Made Of Plastic?
The larger Clover crochet hooks are made from plastic instead of Aluminum as it keeps the hook lightweight.
Are Plastic Crochet Hooks Any Good?
Some crocheters love their plastic hooks due to their affordability and lightness. Most crocheters find aluminum hooks preferable.
Plastic Crochet Hooks On International Flights
Plastic hooks are a great option to take with you on International flights.
Plastic Vs. Aluminum/Metal Crochet Hooks
- Plastic is not as durable as Aluminum
- There are more choices of Aluminum hooks
- Plastic hooks often squeak
- There are a range of Aluminum hooks with ergonomic handles
Hope you found this helpful. Do you like using plastic crochet hooks?
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Get in touch with me here.