You can buy a yarn ball winder from Michaels, but is it worth it? Here’s an honest review of The Loops & Threads™ Yarn Ball Winder from Michaels.
I reviewed, fact checked and updated this post on April 22, 2023
Table Of Contents
- The Loops & Threads™ Yarn Winder
- Is A Michaels Yarn Winder Worth It?
- How To Use A Michaels Yarn Winder
- Yarn Winder Michaels – Your Questions Answered
The Loops & Threads™ Yarn WinderCheck Price On Amazon
It’s quite different from most yarn winders you may have seen, most prominently in the design. Unlike most yarn winders, it has a solid base. It can sit flat on a tabletop or similar surface without needing the table clamp to keep it steady.
Though it’s a good idea to use the table clamp if you’re worried about it slipping or moving accidentally when you don’t want it to. This feature is removable and easily put back on so you can use it how you wish.
The main feature of this excellent invention is to transform yarn into a center-pull yarn cake ready straight away to crochet from. It winds horizontally, and the crank is on the other side of the bobbin.
The Box Includes: the yarn winder, a removable table clamp, and instructions.
- Is a smaller model than other yarn ball winders, it measures approximately 5″ x 3″ x 5 3/4″.
- Winds up to 4 oz of yarn at a time.
- Creates center pull yarn cakes to make crocheting easier.
- Compact in design without being cramped or awkward to use, this is a great option if you have limited space.
- Minimal assembly required
- Straightforward and simple to use and set up.
- It’s cheaper than other models on the market, the perfect choice for those on a budget.
- Economical and a great first yarn winder or for those who don’t have lots of yarn, they need to wind.
- The gear shaft is completely protected and covered, so your hand won’t snag.
- It only comes in one color, the white with a black base and silver metal parts.
- Isn’t able to wind up much yarn at once, only able to wind up to 4 oz of yarn.
- It can be quite noisy when in operation, but customers have suggested if you have this issue persistently, use a little bit of oil to lubricate the gears. (You’ll have to unscrew the cover to get to the apparatus.)
- Can squeak noisily when you crank the handle.
Is A Michaels Yarn Winder Worth It?
Yes, depending on your individual needs, preferences for your budget, and how much yarn you need to wind. It’s worth it for you if –
- You’re on a budget or want to try something cheaper before committing to a larger, more expensive model.
- You want something simple, functional, and no-frills to just get the job done.
- You’re willing to accept things that may not work perfectly, and there may be a few issues to iron out or deal with before it works very well.
- If you don’t need to do much winding or you only have smaller skeins or hanks to wind.
- You have limited space or don’t want something that’s going to take up too much room.
All in all, it’s a good pick for your first yarn winder to try out before you’re ready to commit to something more substantial. Suitable for the beginner or amateur crocheter.
However, if you’re a bit more advanced, looking to wind lots of yarn, or want something that can sustain some serious cranking, this wool winder isn’t going to be right for you. Perhaps you’re looking for something larger, or sturdier, or you’re ready to commit to a larger version.
If so, I recommend the Stanwood Needlecraft 7oz Yarn Ball Winder.
It’s sturdy, guaranteed to last for years, has many well-rated reviews from customers. It also has a large enough capacity of yarn to wind that it suits almost anyone. Plus it’s smooth, quiet, easy to crank, and a breeze to set up.Check Price On Amazon
FAQs About A Winder From Michaels
How Do You Use The Loops & Threads Yarn Winder?
It’s quite simple to use and set up, but it does require a little bit of work before you can get going and start winding. Christy Vandeusen explains in this excellent video with a helpful tutorial.
Does Michael’s Sell Yarn Winders?
Yes, they do! Their flagship yarn ball winder is the Loops & Threads Yarn Winder, which is the best of their products. It’s also the only yarn winder they sell, if you’re looking for other brands, you’ll need to find another store to buy from.
Michaels also offer other products for hobbies and craft – jewelry crafts, supplies for papercraft, supplies for wedding, office supplies, craft art, occasions home, kitchen beads and craft machines.
There you have it. I hope you found this review helpful to help you decide whether this instrument is right for you. It’s not the best product available on the market, but it’s an excellent first or budget choice for the beginner crocheter or fiber arts enthusiast.
Have you ever had one of these yarn winders? What was your experience, did you find it good, or was it a bit basic or didn’t have enough functionality? I’d be interested to hear your thoughts. Have a question? Please comment below or get in touch with me here.
What combination would suit you best? See my review of the yarn ball winder and swift.
Pin For Later