The Royal Ball Winder was a favorite tool of many people. Some people still have theirs and enjoy winding with this model. However, it’s not likely to return to the market. I share another great boxy winder for yarn.
Why was it popular years ago? Made of plastic, small, lightweight, and easy to transport. It suited people on a budget and it wound 4 ounces of yarn.
Table Of Contents
- Best Overall Replacement – Stanwood Needlecraft YBW-B Hand-Operated Yarn Ball Winder, 4-Ounce
- Best Heavy Duty Replacement – Stanwood Needlecraft – Large Metal Yarn Ball Winder 10 oz – Heavy Duty
- Yarn Ball Winder – Royal Replacement
- Rosie’s Royal Yarn Ball Winder
Best Royal Ball Winder Replacement
Stanwood Needlecraft Yarn Ball Winder 4 ounce
This user-friendly, hand-operated winder makes center-pull yarn cakes from 4 oz. balls. Say goodbye to a tangled mess of yarn! Clamps to a variety of furniture. Made of strong materials and easy to crank, a one-person operation. If winding from swifts, purchase one with this winder.
- Makes small 4.oz. center-pull balls, ensuring you’ll never have a tangled mess.
- The table clamp has a range of about 1 3/4″ so you can clamp it to a variety of tables, shelves, or a chair.
- Made of quality, strong materials.
- Easy to crank, made with sturdy metal. Operation makes smooth, easy to wind balls.
- Easy to order and purchase online.
- Great value for money.
- Doesn’t take up too much space.
- It can only create smaller balls, not a big issue. This means you may have to cut a larger ball into two pieces.
Stanwood Needlecraft – Large Metal Yarn Ball Winder 10 oz Heavy Duty
If you’re looking for a winder to handle greater amounts of yarn this is a great option. Manufactured by the same company as the one above, it can wind up to 10 oz of yarn and is made of heavy-duty materials.Check Price On Amazon
Yarn Ball Winder – Royal Replacement
The Oregon Woodworker has found the Stanwood Needle Craft 4 oz version is a great replacement for the Royal Yarn Winder. This is what the seller said about this item:
“After extensive searching we found a company that has duplicated the Royal Yarn Ball Winder, which is no longer produced. They’ve added two improvements as well. It has a metal hand crank and the screw clamp is 1/2″ longer.”
This works great with their Mama Bear and Papa Bear yarn swifts. They also offer fast shipping and customers who’ve purchased their yarn ball widing products for crochet or knitting, have given 5 star reviews.
Rosie’s Royal Yarn Winder
The Woolery offer a model very similar to the Royal. From what I can tell, it looks similar to the Stanwood one mentioned above. It seems to have the same design, colors and made of plastic with a metal crank.
If you’re looking to replace your Royal Winder, I hope my reviews help. I’d love to hear about your experiences with winders. Please pop me a note in the comments below, message me on Twitter or get in touch here. What is the best combination for you? See my review of the swift and ball winder combo.
Pin For Later