Wind lots of yarn regularly? Get a Jumbo Yarn Winder. Aka heavy duty yarn winders, they withstand serious cranking!
These winders wind up to 10 oz of yarn, perfect for large hanks. I’ve reviewed the top models below.
Note: None of the winders mentioned in the review is an electric yarn spinner. For more on those, see my post.
Table Of Contents
- Lacis Jumbo Yarn Ball Winder
- Maple Jumbo Yarn Ball Winder – Fiber Artist Supply Co. LLC
- Stanwood Needlecraft Metal Jumbo Winder
Lacis Jumbo Yarn Ball Winder
This model is popular with crocheters due to its affordability and the amount of yarn it can wind.
It can handle winding skeins of up to 10 oz in a number of different yarn weights from lace to bulky.
Simple to assemble, the winding operation is smooth and effortless. It’s made of mainly plastic parts with a large metal yarn guide and 2 metal swing arms.
The yarn is placed through the yarn guide and through only one of the metal swing arms, the other is used for balance.
- Can wind large amounts of yarn into big cakes
- Some users found they could wind up to 1lb of yarn
- Smooth winding motion
- Some people found the second metal swing arm was annoying
All you need are some luxury yarns for crochet to go with your lovely winder! See my guide.
Maple Jumbo Yarn Ball Winder – Fiber Artist Supply Co. LLC
A quiet, effortless machine, this offers smooth, even cranking with little effort. Beautifully handcrafted with attention to engineering detail.
You can wind up to one pound of fingering weight yarn and ten ounces of worsted weight yarn. (For thicker weight yarns, the amount is less.) Easy to assemble and disassemble and parts are easy to replace if necessary.
Each jumbo ball winder sold has a one-year warranty from the date of purchase against the manufacturer’s defects.
It’s an investment in your crocheting pursuits but a worthwhile one. This model is built to last.
- Made from beautiful hard and premium veneered plywood
- One year guarantee
- Simple to follow manual
- Very positive reviews
- Parts are replaceable
- Manufactured in the United States
- It needs to be cleaned if you use it a lot. Fortunately, it isn’t hard.
What is the best online yarn store? I’ll tell you what it is.
Stanwood Needlecraft Metal Jumbo Winder
This makes large yarn cakes, with a yarn capacity up to 10 oz. The cakes created are center pull and are wonderfully neat and compact.
Despite being quite bulky and heavy, it’s easy to assemble and stores compactly and easily. It’s one of the most popular heavy-duty winders, for a good reason.
It’s very versatile in terms of the yarn it can work with, all ranges of weights and yarn, from wool, acrylic, and cotton, to cashmere, merino, and silk.
The base is made from heavy metal so it can really crank out some serious amount of winding.
- This winder can handle large skeins up to 10 ounces
- Made of sturdy engineered metal, apart from the cogs, made from a nylon material
- Designed to last years
- Heavy duty
- Little assembly needed, simple to use
- Quiet, with a smooth, even crank
- The base of the frame has rubber feet, to protect areas beneath and prevent slipping
- Very positive reviews
- An excellent choice if you’re going to be doing a lot of yarn winding
- It can be a bit confusing at first, but with time and practice, it becomes easier.
Want to buy a yarn bowl? With my review, you’ll only get the best.
If you’re looking to upgrade or want to purchase a larger winder, I hope you found this post helpful.
Jumbo yarn winders are perfect if you have lots of yarn to wind. These make your life easier and make more time for more pleasurable things, like crocheting!
I’d love to hear about your experience. Drop me a note here or message me on Twitter.