The Amish style and the umbrella swift are most popular styles of yarn swift. But which is the best? Here’s a comparison between the best models so you can see what’s right for you.
I reviewed, fact checked and updated this post on April 12, 2023.
Table Of Contents
- Stanwood Needlecraft Tabletop Amish Style Swift
- CHIAOGOO Amish Design Wooden Yarn Swift
- Stanwood Wooden Umbrella Yarn Swift
- Schacht Swift
- What Is A Swift for Yarn?
- Amish Swift Vs Umbrella Swift
Best Amish Swift
Stanwood Needlecraft Tabletop Amish Style SwiftCheck Price On Amazon
Stanwood is known for its umbrella style swifts. This model is made with the same quality, attention to detail, and hardwood. An excellent tabletop yarn swift.
- Solid wood, smooth surface, sanded and polished
- Holds skeins between 2 1/2 – 6 ft circumference
- Non-slip pads
- Easy assembly and disassembly
- Convenient storage
- Spins smoothly
- Friction when spinning
CHIAOGOO Amish Design Wooden Yarn Swift
Chiaogoo makes this superb quality swift made with solid wood on the market for wooden yarn swifts. It’s wood, and suitable for a permanent or temporary home setup.
- Four adjustable pegs to hold hank sizes
- Non-skid pads to prevent accidental slipping
- Quick and easy assembly
- Last for years, and it has a high star rating
- This Amish swift Spins smoothly
- Cheap and lightweight
- Not sturdy
- Makes a squeaking noise
Best Umbrella Swift
Stanwood Wooden Umbrella Yarn SwiftsCheck Price On Amazon
This Stanwood umbrella is a popular model of yarn swift. A quiet workhorse of sanded birch.
- Holds a skein up to 6 ft in circumference
- Medium-sized, and the clamp fits surfaces of up to 1 3/4″ thick
- Excellent quality materials
- Minimal assembly
- Lasts a long time
- Limited clamping capacity
- Sometimes the screw is faulty, but Stanwood replaces it
- The umbrella slips if you don’t secure it
Knitter’s Pride Yarn Ball SwiftCheck Price On Amazon
Made of high density solid wood materials, this quality tool is smooth, and it holds a yarn hank of up to 60″ in circumference.
- The adjustable clamp fits most surfaces
- Smooth when winding yarn
Amish Swift Vs Umbrella
Here’s a rundown of the differences and similarities of the styles.
- The Amish swift sits flat on a tabletop
- The other clamps to a surface
- An umbrella swift is more comfortable to assemble and less bulky
- It’s also easier to storage
- The umbrella expands to fit any size of yarn, and a quick umbrella is more comfortable to set up and less fiddly.
- The Amish yarn swift has adjustable pegs, and vertical swifts work the same way.
- The Amish don’t require a clamp, less likely to damage a surface
- Some find an umbrella one more comfortable to use
- Amishes hold larger hanks than the other option
- They’re designed to hold the skein or hank while you wind it
- They spin on a flat axis
- They’re available in plastic and metal or hardwood
- Prices to suit every budget
- They work with all types of fiber.
Kristine Kelly from Ewe University gives a rundown of the styles.
Hopefully, this comparison of these two styles of yarn swifts helped you. Which do you prefer?
Pin For Later