These are the most popular styles of yarn swift. Which is the best?
Here’s a rundown of the styles and best models.
The Amish style is on a tabletop. The umbrella swift clamps to a surface.
I reviewed and updated this post on July 13, 2022.
Table Of Contents
- Stanwood Needlecraft Tabletop Amish Style Swift
- CHIAOGOO Amish Design Wooden Yarn Swift
- Stanwood Wooden Umbrella Yarn Swift
- Schacht Swift
- What Is A Swift for Yarn?
- Amish Swift Vs Umbrella Swift
What yarn do you use to crochet? See my post.
Best Amish Swift
Stanwood Needlecraft Tabletop Amish Style SwiftCheck Price On Amazon
Stanwood is known for its umbrella style swifts. This model is made with the same quality, attention to detail, and hardwood.
An excellent tabletop yarn swift.
- Solid wood
- Smooth surface, sanded and polished
- Holds skeins between 2 1/2 – 6 ft circumference
- Non-slip pads
- Easy assembly and disassembly
- Convenient storage
- Spins smoothly
- Friction when spinning
CHIAOGOO Amish Design Wooden Yarn Swift
Chiaogoo makes this superb quality swift made with solid wood. One excellent choice on the market for wooden yarn swifts.
- Suitable for a permanent or temporary home setup
- Four adjustable pegs to hold hank sizes
- Non-skid pads to prevent accidental slipping
- Quick and easy assembly
- Last for years
- Spins smoothly
- Not sturdy
- Makes a squeaking noise
Best Umbrella Swift
Stanwood Wooden Umbrella Yarn SwiftCheck Price On Amazon
This Stanwood umbrella is a popular model of yarn swift.
A quiet workhorse.
- Sanded and polished birch
- Holds a skein up to 6 ft in circumference
- Clamp fits surfaces of up to 1 3/4″ thick
- Excellent quality materials
- Minimal assembly
- Lasts a long time
- Limited clamping capacity
- Sometimes the screw is faulty, but Stanwood replaces it
- The umbrella slips if you don’t secure it
Knitter’s Pride SwiftCheck Price On Amazon
Made with quality materials, this is smooth.
- Holds a yarn hank of up to 60″ in circumference
- The adjustable clamp fits most surfaces
- Smooth when winding yarn
What Is A Swift for Yarn?
A swift for yarn is used with a yarn winder to wind yarn from a hank or skein into a neat yarn cake.
Yarn cakes are easier to knit with, and less prone to getting tangled.
Wood Vs Metal Umbrella Swift
- Metal ones are aluminum
- Wood ones are hardwoods like birch or maple
- Metal ones are cheaper
- Wooden ones last longer and are more hard-wearing
- They’re expensive to maintain, but they look lovely
- Metal ones combine metal and plastic
- Any style of yarn swift
- Available in varying price ranges and sizes
Looking to crochet something new? Read my post on the best yarn for socks.
Amish Swift Vs Umbrella Swift
Here’s a rundown of the differences and similarities of the styles.
- The amish sits flat on a tabletop
- The other clamps to a surface
- An umbrella swift is more comfortable to assemble and less bulky
- It’s also easier to storage
- The umbrella expands to fit any size of yarn
- The Amish has adjustable pegs
- The Amish don’t require a clamp, less likely to damage a surface
- Some find an umbrella one more comfortable to use
- Amishes hold larger hanks than the other option
- They’re designed to hold the skein or hank while you wind it
- They spin on a flat axis
- They’re available in plastic and metal or hardwood
- Prices to suit every budget
Kristine Kelly from Ewe University gives a rundown of the styles.
Hopefully, this comparison of these two styles of yarn swifts helped you.
Which do you prefer, and why?